NahIDee
YouTube Username: jcb19 (formerly AGuyNamedJC)
Discord: somebody2950

Re: What do sirens in your area warn of?

Fri May 17, 2019 2:27 pm

Howard County sounds the sirens for monthly tests and tornadoes. A few sirens sound off for fire calls. Same thing applies to Hall County.
Greetings from Saint Paul, Nebraska!

Proud owner of an ACA Alertronic AL-4000, Alertronic AL-6000R, Penetrator-15, Cyclone 120, Type-1 Allertor 125, a Federal Model C, and a Klaxon Mono AH!

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Fri May 17, 2019 2:33 pm

My town (we are incorporated as a Village so that’s what I mean when I say the Village) has one siren we own (a 2001-130) and another (also a 2001-130) at the local high school. They warn of tornadoes and are activated ONLY if a tornado is on the ground near the Village. It’s not a policy I agree with (as we will not activate the sirens even if we are in the Warning polygon for a tornado warning).
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm

West Virginia here. Our sirens are almost exclusively fire sirens, though they also do an attack pattern for an extended time for weather emergencies. There's around 3 to 8 in each county (3 here in Morgan County: a Sterling M10, a Sentry 10V, and a Model 5/7).
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

sirensandfirealarms
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SuperSirex127
Discord: SuperSirex127#3917

Mon May 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Mostly tornadoes, but there's an Amerigas Storage facility with ATIs in Middletown which likely warn of any accident at the plant.
There's also Elmwood Place, which has an HOR Siro-Drone that does a daily blast at 9:00pm, and Seven Mile, which has a 16/16 port Sterling M-10 that goes off every day at 6:00pm. Fernald used to have some 1212s for nuclear accidents, but most of those are gone now (2 sirens are still in place but inactive as of writing this post).
Proud owner of 4 Model As(all in a state of disrepair), a USI siren, and a 16-port rotor from a Sterling M-10.

FahmiRBLX
YouTube Username: FahmiRBLX

Tue May 21, 2019 7:17 am

Malaysia Countrywide :

Only electronic sirens sound for the real deal, while remaining mechanical ones for non-energency occassions such as Iftar time-marking alongside Azan during months of Ramadhan. A particular mechanical siren atop Kuala Kangsar Police HQ sounds for this on Alert (Hoping that I can film it this year).

Our electronic sirens are usually placed at risky areas (e.g Coastal portions of a city, Flood-prone low areas, etc.) sound only for a single threat; Tsunami for coastal sirens, Flooding for sirens in flood prone areas. Meaning, other threats such as Waterspout will not sound those sirens. As of now, testing and actual warning is signalled by Attack, the only thing differenciating between testing and warnings are via announcement prior to signalling.
A Muslim Malaysian, a siren & aviation enthusiast, and gamer.

Mini Mobil Directo Project
Sirens in Malaysia Thread

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Tue May 21, 2019 4:59 pm

Tsunami's
at the beach
Or floods.
In ashland
Or fire.
In Sunriver
or nothing at all
(my siren, and a few others...)
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Whelenfan2802

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Madison Co: Short Alert 1st wens of Every month So far I'm not sure What Madison Co. Al Uses for warnings.
Jessica. Wishes To own these Sirens: Whelen 2800 or 2900, FS 2001 DC, FS MOD 2008 and A Thunderbolt.

NewEnglander1212

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:04 am

The Port of Providence, RI runs a system of Whelens for port emergencies. Brown University also has Whelens, I believe, that sound in case of emergencies on campus.

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 am

Whelenfan2802 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:12 pm
Madison Co: Short Alert 1st wens of Every month So far I'm not sure What Madison Co. Al Uses for warnings.
Madison County sets off the sirens in alert for tornado warnings. I'd assume attack is reserved for an attack. Redstone Arsenal also uses their E-classes for other warnings as well.
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

archizackture
YouTube Username: Shako_Lamb

Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:47 pm

NewEnglander1212 wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:04 am
Brown University also has Whelens, I believe, that sound in case of emergencies on campus.
Cornell as well, they have four roof-mounted 2804 sirens: Bartels Hall, Hans Bethe House, Mary Donlon Hall, and Vet School. I studied urban planning at CU for two semesters before transferring out and heard two of their twice-yearly tests and one actual alarm when there was a severe storm during Slope Day (a major outdoor celebration). In all cases the sirens first do a voice announcement, then 7 or 8 rounds of a rising whoop sound that cuts off instead of hovering at the highest tone (in fire alarm terms it would be a "slow whoop"), then another voice announcement. I also heard a noon siren test in Collegetown (south end of campus) that sounded an electronic hi-lo but I never found out where or what that siren is.
Architecture preservationist. I enjoy obscure history and mapping things, and grew up around sirens. Not planning to own one.
West Virginia State-wide & Western Maryland Siren Map

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”