Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:20 am

I got out to the Thunderbolt 1000T at State Route 132 and Middleboro Road in Warren County today and it was a SUCCESS! It was a great test! This was the third time I visited this siren for testing. The first couple times it didn't go off. The first time something must've been wrong with it because the rest of the system worked while this one remained silent. The second time Warren County cancelled the test due to the risk of severe weather that day. The third time, today, it went off and worked perfectly! Happy that it's working again! I posted a video of it in the Videos and Media section.

On a side note... Christian Bricking (AKA 4J25) told me via Snapchat that he visited the ACA Allertor in Batavia for the test. He informed me after that it failed to sound and that there were firefighters there to check its operation. Good thing there were because it'll probably be repaired.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Sifed1 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:20 am

On a side note... Christian Bricking (AKA 4J25) told me via Snapchat that he visited the ACA Allertor in Batavia for the test. He informed me after that it failed to sound and that there were firefighters there to check its operation. Good thing there were because it'll probably be repaired.
I told Jeremy M that it it wouldn't work, and I guess this month I was correct!

How'd everyone else's tests go? And did HamCo actually test this month?
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

maxshaw

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:56 pm

I went out to the P-15 on top of the Union Twp. FD in Eastgate, it was the first P-15 that I've heard in person! It hiccuped on the wind up, but everything else was fine. Where is the Allertor in Batavia? Maybe I'll get that one next month if it's operational...

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:06 pm

It's located behind the Batavia Mayor's Office. It's been on and off in terms of functionality for a while.
-Nik VW

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:40 pm

I got blasted by the 2001 at Kellogg and Sutton on Wednesday. I was out at Coney Island enjoying the pool at the time.
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Of course the smoke stack was torn down, but the old Hudepohl Thunderbolt still stands, as of today.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

maxshaw

Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:41 pm

Speaking of Clough Pike Elementary, I just drove by there today and saw that it was fenced off and it looked like they might be getting ready to tear it down or do some remodeling... We'll see what happens to the Thunderbolt there. I'd like to think that it wouldn't be scrapped, since Clermont County still has plenty of old sirens, but who knows.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 pm

maxshaw wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:41 pm
Speaking of Clough Pike Elementary, I just drove by there today and saw that it was fenced off and it looked like they might be getting ready to tear it down or do some remodeling... We'll see what happens to the Thunderbolt there. I'd like to think that it wouldn't be scrapped, since Clermont County still has plenty of old sirens, but who knows.
They take pretty decent care of their old sirens and seeing that they've kept that one running for a long time i'd like to think they'll re-install it or put it on a pole, but if the radio and controls are in the building or they can't get it off... it's lights out.
-Nik VW

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:19 pm

I thought this was cool. Here’s an article about the Springfield Township Fire Department celebrating 23 years. It includes pictures of the old fire house, and you can see the yellow P-15 that used to sit on top! It was a 9/12 port, and I used to hear it from home or wherever all the time! Unfortunately, it was removed when the old fire house was demolished in late 2006, and was replaced by the T-128 at St. Bartholomew Church up the street in the spring of 2007. This old fire station was on Winton Road next to the west entrance ramp for Ronald Reagan Highway, and the property now houses a Chipotle and Buffalo Wings & Rings.

https://app.cerkl.com/org/story.php?id=6607710
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

nickrusche

Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:59 am

After years and years of the Thunderbolt Siren atop of St. Bernard Elmwood Place Elementary sitting silent for test days and severe weather warnings, the fate of it has been found. According this article from the Business Courier, the school is going to be demolished and I am sure the Thunderbolt that was once atop of the NuMaid Margarine plant next to I-75, will go down with it.

It is kind of sad though that some of the remaining decommissioned Thunderbolts in Hamilton County have met the same fate: the Thunderbolt on top of the Hudepohl Brewery, and the thunderbolt on top of the Sterns and Foster building next to I-75 in Lockland. There may be others, but these are the only ones that I can think of.

Here is the link to the article from the Business Courier:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/ ... llion.html

Return to “Community Systems”