MCS2020

YouTube Username: MidCentralSirens2020

A lot of work

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:08 am

Well I watched other owners of Thunderbolts say they "put in a lot of work" I'm now not doubting this anymore, the siren would appear to be 480/208-240VAC which I think means 480VAC is needed to run her, she didn't come with controls as we searched the fire station high and low ...<no pun intended for them but they were no where in sight. Oh well

I took off the panels for the rotator and the belt is in bad shape needs a new one, the blower held a "leafy" surprise for me <pun intended) when I figured out the how to open her there was literally a 1-1-1/2 foot of leafs in her I brushed out as much as I could gotta get a leaf blower which we have.

I think all the motors are in good operational order just needs RCM1, RCM3 & an AF timer or FC timer, as for future plans I think I will have the color be Off-White II via my paint guy once section at a time, the I tried to remove the horn but found it is attached via some hex nut nuts which I do not have a hex wrench, why would Federal use Hex nut nuts? don't make sense.

the solenoids are all good I have to have them removed and sent into a small machine shop to take a gander at. but I think there in good shape, I suspect they were hardly used. I want to remove the 3 inch pipe but I don't know how to do that.

I would attach pics but I don't know how so I'll probably use videos instead.

Any advice for me?

Brendan W
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: Brendan Williamson
Discord: Brendan W.#7026

Re: A lot of work

Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:05 pm

Federal, as far as hardware and just about everything else is concerned just used off the shelf stuff, so maybe that is what they had. They are hex head screws or bolts if I remember correctly. To remove the pipe, I think you have to heat up the U joint it is in and use a large pipe wrench to rotate it out, remembering lefty loosey righty tighty and all that stuff.
24, and not dead yet.
Registered Skywarn spotter as of 4/29/18
Formerly TboltFan[/i]

MCS2020

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:20 am

Well, I got it broken down to its basic components, got the horn off, but the solenoid mechanism is stuck to the chopper is there something holding it there that I am not aware of?

Jake_7367
Discord: Keigo#2002

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Probably needs penetrating oil in the screw holes. Soak overnight
I love Yamaha Music Sirens.
Twitter: Yamaha and Matsush¡ta Enthusiast (@Matsush¡taMan) (replace ¡ with i)

MCS2020

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 am

Like WD-40?

metalstorm
YouTube Username: metalstorm1217

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:14 am

I would recommend PB Blaster over WD40. Which ever you choose use liberal amounts. Some very light tapping with a hammer may help as well

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”