Re: HOR Model 50

Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:10 pm

IMG_20190812_094039.jpg
IMG_20190812_094039.jpg (193.72 KiB) Viewed 4276 times

Ray'sWorldYT

YouTube Username: TheSpiritStingray

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm

Ok, so analyzing the data given here, You have a super si-rex 40HP model (although, why the hell is it a 50, Idk) 2HP rotator motor (later design). 10/10 port, likely Ex-Phoeniz Arizona. No, as far as I'm aware, we don't have any manuals at all of the super sirex, as it is such an uncommon siren that we don't know that much about. Any questions, feel free to ask me, I do know a decent bit about these sirens.

Bassguybill

Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 pm

A definite challenge, other than getting it off the trailer and into enclosed storage.
Owner of: (Don't ask me why)
A Small demolition 110v siren,
Federal model A 110v,
Federal type 2 240v,
Federal 2001 DC roundback,
and a Harry O. Ricci Model 50 Super Si-Rex 10/10 port Dual Horn 3 phase. :roll:

Bassguybill

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:33 pm

What a blessing, I am in contact with one of the inventor/mfgs surviving children. Got a short history and waiting on some ads and notes to be forwarded, other requested info if it can be found also. Family is happy his work is still talked about and around. Keeping my fingers crossed. What a day. 😇

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:28 am

Bassguybill wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:16 am
Maybe, if that one was in phnx. I was able to go pick it up myself, would cost a fortune to ship I imagine. Also a Federal type 2 and model A owner here as well as the new HOR.
Yes, that was the one in Phoenix. Congratulations on owning such a unique siren!
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

Bassguybill

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 am

IMG_20190812_093809.jpg
IMG_20190812_093809.jpg (169.99 KiB) Viewed 4259 times
If it was advertised a long time, then it must be meant to pass thru me somehow. It's in too good of shape to think otherwise. :D. And thank you, I feel lucky, especially since i am now in contact as of today with one the inventors/mfgs children. He has a pic of his dad Harry (Harry O. Ricci, thus the HOR) with mayor LaGuardia on top of the Chrysler bldg and some ads from back in the day. Hope to post and share soon.
Got a short history of the company, the where's and when's too, so, feeling very blessed. Just Wow. What are the odds?

siren fan

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:05 am

Awesome! Congrats on the purchase!

Darley Champion
Location: Gouvieux (department of Oise), Hauts-de-France (formerly Picardie)

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Oh dear! It's in very good condition indeed (the metal looks like it's in excellent condition, no rust spots or holes, so it should be just a matter of giving it a fresh new coat of paint).
19 (and soon to be 20) years old french siren enthusiast, hailing from what was called "Picardy"
[url=http:s//www.steamsignature.com]Image[/url]
This is my official Youtube

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Bassguybill wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:04 am
IMG_20190812_093809.jpgIf it was advertised a long time, then it must be meant to pass thru me somehow. It's in too good of shape to think otherwise. :D. And thank you, I feel lucky, especially since i am now in contact as of today with one the inventors/mfgs children. He has a pic of his dad Harry (Harry O. Ricci, thus the HOR) with mayor LaGuardia on top of the Chrysler bldg and some ads from back in the day. Hope to post and share soon.
Got a short history of the company, the where's and when's too, so, feeling very blessed. Just Wow. What are the odds?
Speaking of rare HOR sirens, I recorded a Sirex No. 15 (single head model) last Wednesday (this one is located in Hamilton, Butler County, Ohio and according to the city this siren was installed in 1954). This one was also rare in that it was a 7/10 Port dual tone model, not sure if all the single head rotating Si-Rex’s were dual toned or not.

Only about 10-15 were ever produced, this is the only one in the US and probably the only in the world that is still active and in service. As far as rotating Sirex’s go, this and the Super Sirex in Adrian, MO are the only ones left with working rotators out of the 4 or so in the US that are still active (not including the Siro-Drone and Sirex omnidirectional units).

A few of the single headed Si-Rex’s ever produced were located in Ohio, according to civil defense matching funds documents. Of course, more of the ones ever produced were the dual head rotating and non rotating Super Si-Rex’s (like the one you have).

There are at least 5 Sirex’s I can think of that are still active (directional and rotating models only, omnidirectional Sirex’s and the Siri-Drone line not including in this list), they are located in the following cities in the US:

Adrian, MO (Super Si-Rex, rotating dual head model w/working rotator, single tone 9 Port)
Hamilton, OH (Sirex No. 15, rotating model, 7/10 dual tone)
Toledo, OH (Super Si-Rex, non-rotating dual head model, single tone 9 Port)
Holyoke, MA (Super Si-Rex, non-rotating dual head, single tone 9 Port)
Madison, WI (Super Si-Rex, non rotating dual head, single tone 9 Port)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFKAp8aphc

There were also more of the omnidirectional Si-Rex dual tone models made for civil defense use as well as the single tone Siro-Drone omnidirectional sirens. I’d say their most common siren H.O.R. made was probably the Super Sirex, both rotating and non rotating units.

Single head models were called Sirex No. 15, I believe.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

4J25
YouTube Username: 4j25

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm still not sure where everyone is getting the "No. 15" nomenclature. I have yet to see it in documentation or on a siren itself.
Christian Bricking, living in the Cincinnati Metropolitan Area.
Owner of a WPS-2804, Model L, and B9.
Certified Skywarn spotter since April 5, 2016.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”