tyttuutface
New User

Re: What do sirens in your area warn of?

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 am

Tornadoes only since April 1999. Before that day, they also set them off for severe thunderstorm warnings. That led to people not taking siren activations seriously, and when an F4 tornado hit Montgomery/Blue Ash on 4/9/1999, 4 people died. I think that's how it went, anyways.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:20 am

tyttuutface wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:59 am
Tornadoes only since April 1999. Before that day, they also set them off for severe thunderstorm warnings. That led to people not taking siren activations seriously, and when an F4 tornado hit Montgomery/Blue Ash on 4/9/1999, 4 people died. I think that's how it went, anyways.
Actually, that’s not how it went. Hamilton County actually stopped sounding the sirens for severe thunderstorm warnings with a tornado watch in 2011. They began sounding the sirens for severe thunderstorms in 1986, and because of people not taking the sirens so seriously, they changed it to where there also had to be a tornado watch in 1992. At the time of the tornado, tests were only on the 1st Wednesday of each month, and emergency activations were 3 minutes long. Starting in early 2000, the sirens were tested the 1st and 3rd Wednesday each month, and emergency activations became 5 minutes long. Because no other surrounding counties were testing their sirens on the 3rd Wednesday, it led to some confusion for people in those counties, and Hamilton County stopped 3rd Wednesday tests in 2006. And like I mentioned, Hamilton County continued to activate the sirens for severe thunderstorm warnings with a tornado watch until 2011, as people still weren’t taking the sirens seriously. That certainly seems to have helped, and starting sometime recently, they now activate the sirens for 3 minutes with 7 minute intervals of silence during emergencies.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

STLlife

YouTube Username: Dank Memes

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:55 am

In Lexington, KY, we have a system of Modulators and a few DSA4s that warn of pretty much everything. I most often hear the Westminster Chimes, meaning that there is a thunderstorm. I haven't gotten them on video, because they quiet test here.

MCS2020

YouTube Username: MidCentralSirens2020

Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:19 am

Our area is Fire Calls, Wail signal, and Tornados Alert Signal

Tboltguy

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:47 pm

30 seconds of alert for tests, 3 minutes of alert for tornadoes, 3 minutes of attack in case of an enemy attack on the united states (yes, it says that on the city's website)
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

CarolinaHurricane20

Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm

Let's see. Wake County North Carolina.
Raleigh: EOWS 115s, used for Floods. A Darley Model 5 which was active until 2011. Removed Thunderbolt 1000Ts. A Former Darley Model 5 in the NC State Fairgrounds. A bunch of other removed fire sirens.
Angier: A former 3T22.
Apex: Whelen 2910s for the Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant, and a former 3T22 removed around 2006, with a private collector awaiting restoration
Cary: Former SD-10, concrete foundation still visible. Darley Champion and Fedelcode Model 5, was previously used by the Cary FD and mounted on a building downtown.
Fuquay-Varina: Former 3T22, removed with old water tower it sat on. Former Darley Champion. Former Model 2 removed around 2014.
Garner: EOWS 115s for the flood warning system, HOR Siro-Drone activated for annual fireman's parade, Former FS-10 removed early 90s.
Holly Springs: Former 3T22 removed around 2005. Heck of a lot of Whelen 2910s for Harris.
Knightdale: Former Model 3
Morrisville: Former Model 2
Rolesville: Sterling Model M was active until 2011.
Wake Forest: Former Unknown Siren turned off in 1978, exact location unknown.
Wendell: Former 3T22, may have been installed on water tower, installed in the 70s, removed in the 90s.
Zebulon: Former 3T22, installed in the 70s, removed in the 90s.
That's all!

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 pm

My area has an abandoned STH-10 that used to go off for prison stuff, an STH-10 that serves as a weather siren, a few inactive SD-10s, a 2T22 that's inactive, and an RSH-10 that's inactive, and a MS-190/Sireno combo that serve as noon and 6 PM sirens.
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

Sirens are cool

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:40 am

My area has 2 STL 10s used for fire calls and a severe weather sirens,
A federal electric type b used for fire calls, a STH-10 for severe weather that’s kinda hidden in some trees, I don’t really know if it’s active or not. Also a model 5 for fire and severe weather
A 2t22 fire siren right next to the soccer field I practice at, it went off once while I was there. Another 2t22 at my dads scrapyard, 1 jailbar thunderbolt on top of a municipal building, A sterling M10 that replaced a model 5 around 2006 Another thunderbolt on top of a elementary school used in Cold War that is inactive , a FS-SD 10 used to be used as a civil defense siren, now it is used as a fire siren. a eows 612 used for fire calls, a fedelcode model 2 now taken down as of 2018. 4 model 5s and 3 model 2s
Used as curfew sirens. I don’t feel like typing anymore sirens because there are so many in my county, the 2 stl 10s the federal electric type b and the Sth 10 I can hear from my house

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:14 pm

Sirens are cool wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:40 am
My area has 2 STL 10s used for fire calls and a severe weather sirens,
A federal electric type b used for fire calls, a STH-10 for severe weather that’s kinda hidden in some trees, I don’t really know if it’s active or not. Also a model 5 for fire and severe weather
A 2t22 fire siren right next to the soccer field I practice at, it went off once while I was there. Another 2t22 at my dads scrapyard, 1 jailbar thunderbolt on top of a municipal building, A sterling M10 that replaced a model 5 around 2006 Another thunderbolt on top of a elementary school used in Cold War that is inactive , a FS-SD 10 used to be used as a civil defense siren, now it is used as a fire siren. a eows 612 used for fire calls, a fedelcode model 2 now taken down as of 2018. 4 model 5s and 3 model 2s
Used as curfew sirens. I don’t feel like typing anymore sirens because there are so many in my county, the 2 stl 10s the federal electric type b and the Sth 10 I can hear from my house
What area is this? Sounds like you've got a ton of variety!
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

CD_Siren
Discord: cdsiren

Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm

My area uses T-121s, T-128s, RM-130s, 2001-130s, and 2001 SRNBs. They replaced a system of 1003s and a few RM-130s. Certain RM-130s remain in service today. Rumors said that they used to do Attack during testing. (Every Wednesday at Noon) Nowadays they do Alert. The testing time is still the same. They sound off during (Most) Severe T-Storms and Tornadoes, and sometimes during hail.

About 15 minutes away from my town, they have 2 Sentry 16V1TBs and an inactive Thunderbolt 1000. (Former AN1)
I still post here, but not as much as I used to. :roll:
Casual enthusiast who lives in the natural state of Arkansas.
Hoping to get a siren someday...
Not the brightest mind, but getting there.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”