HudsonRiverSirens
YouTube Username: HudsonRiverSirens
Discord: gls5768

Re: Yamaha Music Sirens

Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:05 pm

SirenMadness wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 am
The Tenri University pool turns out to have a twin setup! I noticed the perspective between the two pictures seemed off for them to be photos of the same unit, so I hovered over the spot on Google Earth and sure enough there are two towers, each one with a siren on top. I wonder as to whether that was a measure of redundancy or simply having both sirens playing at once.
Both towers are seen here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.5992411 ... 384!8i8192
Sirens may not be sexy, but they sure work.

AcousticTheory

YouTube Username: AcousticTheory

Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:24 am

AcousticTheory

YouTube Username: AcousticTheory

Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:27 am

Kasey
YouTube Username: Kasey
Discord: Kasey#9793

Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:41 pm

Amazing! This is why the Japenese are amazing at inventing things.

Evan Vander Stoep

YouTube Username: Evan Vander Stoep
Discord: EvanVS#5790

Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:54 pm

AcousticTheory wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:27 am
Also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ7JmhYqVAw
You are just reposting videos I have already found. Please checkout my YouTube playlist that contains 91+ videos about the music siren including the 2 you just posted.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... s975gbkawD

This link was also mentioned in my sources section at the end of my original article/post.
Evan Vander Stoep
Radio Communications Technician
Researcher of Yamaha Music Sirens

YouTube Channel: https://youtube.com/EvanVanderStoep
Discord: EvanVS#5790 (Best Contact Method)

IHaveAName
YouTube Username: Nthuziast
Discord: Greater Miami Railway Cor#9640

Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IfLTG7zoKk
The newest video of the Tenri University siren shows that the second siren is actually another custom built generation 2 siren, or at least it appears that way.
guitarist for my band R3VØLUȻION (pop rock)
huge green day and mcr fan
take a look at my wig wag map https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/view? ... 000001&z=2

IHaveAName

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm

Okay, I found some more information and a few new locations about the music sirens.

New Information
Starting off, there were 197 music sirens in Japan, including Generation 1 and 2 sirens. 2 sirens are across seas in Taiwan and another in the Philippines.
It also turns out that the Iga City Hall music siren was installed in 1984... meaning that the siren is actually still pretty new.

I have some information about the sirens and how many sirens are located at what locations.
Generation 1 sirens
Municipality offices: 64 sirens (Iga Ueno City Hall, Ueno Chamber of Commence and Industry, Mazayaki City Hall)
Factories: 45 sirens (excluding YAMAHA)
Stores: 27 sirens (Marumitsu Department Store Sendai, TOKIWA Main Store
Schools: 25 sirens (Mazayaki University)
Bank-related: 19 sirens (Tajimi Shinkin Bank)
Other: 4 sirens (Taiwan, Philippines)

Generation 2 sirens
Municipal Offices: 6 sirens (Okayama Prefectural Office, Kishiwada City Hall)
Factories: 2 (YAMAHA)
Schools: 3 (Yawatahama, Tenri Pool*2 units*)
Other: 1 (Uwajima Castle)

Ueno Chamber of Commence and Industry siren
Only a short walk from the city hall to this siren, the siren contains only 4 tones and was installed BEFORE the city hall installed their siren.
I believe this siren was installed to play the Westminster chimes, considering the song only contains 4 notes.

Himeji Chamber of Commence siren
Unfortunately, no close-up photo of the siren, and the building seems to be have been removed or redone.
3 times a day at 7 AM, 1 PM and 10 PM, the siren plays "Home Road" by Dvorak.

Ogamiyama Park siren
In the mountains surrounding Amami city (formerly Naze City), a siren once stood. Unfortunately, the electricity supplied to the island was not enough for the siren to operate properly. At times, the rotors would stop spinning entirely or fail to activate. The siren would play the last song in 1969.
The siren would play Blowing Spring Breeze at 6 AM, Home! Sweet Home! at 12 PM, Home Road at 5 PM and Brahms Lullaby at 10 PM.

Mizayaki Sirens
There were 2 sirens in the city. One was located within the city and the other at the Mazayaki University(the first unit ever sold and shipped).
Unfortunately none of the sirens had a close-up picture.

Sapporo City Hall siren
Somewhere in town sits or once sat a music siren, playing music to the locals. Yet again, no close-up photos.

Tokushima sirens
There are 2 articles that cover 2 sirens...
One siren is or was located atop the City Hall, the other siren on a store named "Marushin".
There is a third page where someone asked about the music in the city, in which I have no idea if this is the same siren or there's two sirens.

That's just a short bit of information I wanted to add. Just a good... 176 more sirens to locate. We have made a dent in the siren count.
Last edited by IHaveAName on Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
take a look at my wig wag map https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/view? ... 000001&z=2

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:07 pm

Holy cow! This is amazing! I had no idea Yamaha made music sirens! It reminds me of the carillon bell towers. I'd love to acquire a couple of these :)

I just listened to the first recording of the big playlist - the sound reminds me of a reed instrument like an accordion. Maybe I'll 3D print one of these and make a MIDI interface for it 8-)

Any clue as to why the dampers cycle on the generation 2 sirens before they play? I'm wondering if it's to clear the stators of any debris before the siren starts up. I don't think these units are smart enough to detect blockages before starting.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

IHaveAName

Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:08 pm

HDN wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:07 pm
Holy cow! This is amazing! I had no idea Yamaha made music sirens! It reminds me of the carillon bell towers. I'd love to acquire a couple of these :)

I just listened to the first recording of the big playlist - the sound reminds me of a reed instrument like an accordion. Maybe I'll 3D print one of these and make a MIDI interface for it 8-)

Any clue as to why the dampers cycle on the generation 2 sirens before they play? I'm wondering if it's to clear the stators of any debris before the siren starts up. I don't think these units are smart enough to detect blockages before starting.
Hi, HDN,
Unfortunately, YAMAHA halted production of these lovely sirens in 1998 and ceased repairs in 2011.
Also, the only location outside of Japan that I'm aware of is in Taiwan and in the Philippines.

However, the 3d printing of this amazing siren is something that I am highly enthusiastic about! Please proceed to do it! It would be a dream for me. I had this idea too, but unfortunately it would take at least a day, maybe even a week to get a motor, print all the stators and rotors out and seal them together.
But, go for it!

Evan Vander Stoep

YouTube Username: Evan Vander Stoep
Discord: EvanVS#5790

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:28 am

IHaveAName wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:27 pm
Okay, I found some more information and a few new locations about the music sirens.

New Information
Starting off, there were 197 music sirens in Japan, including Generation 1 and 2 sirens. 2 sirens are across seas in Taiwan and another in the Philippines.
It also turns out that the Iga City Hall music siren was installed in 1984... meaning that the siren is actually still pretty new.

I have some information about the sirens and how many sirens are located at what locations.
Generation 1 sirens
Municipality offices: 64 sirens (Iga Ueno City Hall, Ueno Chamber of Commence and Industry, Mazayaki City Hall)
Factories: 45 sirens (excluding YAMAHA)
Stores: 27 sirens (Marumitsu Department Store Sendai, TOKIWA Main Store
Schools: 25 sirens (Mazayaki University)
Bank-related: 19 sirens (Tajimi Shinkin Bank)
Other: 4 sirens (Taiwan, Philippines)

Generation 2 sirens
Municipal Offices: 6 sirens (Okayama Prefectural Office, Kishiwada City Hall)
Factories: 2 (YAMAHA)
Schools: 3 (Yawatahama, Tenri Pool*2 units*)
Other: 1 (Uwajima Castle)

Ueno Chamber of Commence and Industry siren
Only a short walk from the city hall to this siren, the siren contains only 4 tones and was installed BEFORE the city hall installed their siren.
I believe this siren was installed to play the Westminster chimes, considering the song only contains 4 notes.

Himeji Chamber of Commence siren
Unfortunately, no close-up photo of the siren, and the building seems to be have been removed or redone.
3 times a day at 7 AM, 1 PM and 10 PM, the siren plays "Home Road" by Dvorak.

Ogamiyama Park siren
In the mountains surrounding Amami city (formerly Naze City), a siren once stood. Unfortunately, the electricity supplied to the island was not enough for the siren to operate properly. At times, the rotors would stop spinning entirely or fail to activate. The siren would play the last song in 1969.
The siren would play Blowing Spring Breeze at 6 AM, Home! Sweet Home! at 12 PM, Home Road at 5 PM and Brahms Lullaby at 10 PM.

Mizayaki Sirens
There were 2 sirens in the city. One was located within the city and the other at the Mazayaki University(the first unit ever sold and shipped).
Unfortunately none of the sirens had a close-up picture.

Sapporo City Hall siren
Somewhere in town sits or once sat a music siren, playing music to the locals. Yet again, no close-up photos.

Tokushima sirens
There are 2 articles that cover 2 sirens...
One siren is or was located atop the City Hall, the other siren on a store named "Marushin".
There is a third page where someone asked about the music in the city, in which I have no idea if this is the same siren or there's two sirens.

That's just a short bit of information I wanted to add. Just a good... 176 more sirens to locate. We have made a dent in the siren count.
Thanks so much! I will add this all to my original article soon. Do you have sources for your information as I could only find photos of these 2 locations? I also have what I believe is a photo of the control panel & keyboard for the siren in Ueno.

Evan Vander Stoep
Radio Communications Technician
Researcher of Yamaha Music Sirens

YouTube Channel: https://youtube.com/EvanVanderStoep
Discord: EvanVS#5790 (Best Contact Method)

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”