CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Hamilton in Butler County tested today. I heard the 508 on University Boulevard loud and clear. I heard a 1000T as well, but I'm not sure where that one was.
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

CincyTboltman

Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:08 pm

I went out to the Massie Township 1003 and noticed 2 things. One: the tilting pole that the siren sits on has been corrected. It's not leaning anymore. 2. It's now pointing northeast instead of southwest like it was last month.

Also, I went in behind the fire station to take a look at the 2 Thunderbolt horns they have sitting back there. They were much bigger than I thought they would be. My understanding is that these will be used as parts for the 1000T and 1003.

I'm planning to record the 1003 in January since there aren't any videos of it. Hopefully it sounds as it should.

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:33 pm

CincyTboltman wrote:
I went out to the Massie Township 1003 and noticed 2 things. One: the tilting pole that the siren sits on has been corrected. It's not leaning anymore. 2. It's now pointing northeast instead of southwest like it was last month.

Also, I went in behind the fire station to take a look at the 2 Thunderbolt horns they have sitting back there. They were much bigger than I thought they would be. My understanding is that these will be used as parts for the 1000T and 1003.

I'm planning to record the 1003 in January since there aren't any videos of it. Hopefully it sounds as it should.
That siren is usually hit-or-miss in terms of whether or not it picks up the radio signal or not, from my understanding/experience. I tried it in February 2020 and it did not go off, but the other Massie Twp. T-Bolt a few miles away did. It worked when I was at the other T-Bolt, but that was back in April of 2020; the blower is wired backwards.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

CincyTboltman

Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:39 am

fire_freak_57 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:33 pm
CincyTboltman wrote:

That siren is usually hit-or-miss in terms of whether or not it picks up the radio signal or not, from my understanding/experience. I tried it in February 2020 and it did not go off, but the other Massie Twp. T-Bolt a few miles away did. It worked when I was at the other T-Bolt, but that was back in April of 2020; the blower is wired backwards.
Yeah, I've heard of this particular siren not activating before. I know that Werden Electric has been called out to fix this siren multiple times, along with the 1000T next to Spillway Party Supply. From reading the Massie Township
meeting minutes concerning this siren, a fuse keeps tripping on this 1003 occasionally. This has been keeping the 1003 from activating from time to time, along with the radio issue. Werden was called out to reprogram the 1003 and 1000T, since they both had issues with remote activation.

From what I understand, both the 1003 and 1000T should be activating properly now.

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:41 pm

Hamilton County has decided to still conduct the growl test today, despite the cold temps and little bit of snow on the ground.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

fire_freak_57

Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:59 pm

Unsure if this has been mentioned here at all. It's not too big of a development nonetheless, but Mason this year begun replacing their 2001-DC's (the older "Squareback" units) with 2001-130's. It's part of a capital improvement project the city is doing to upgrade the system. I'm not too active on this platform but heard about this over the spring/summer months.

Unsure why they don't just get new boxes/controllers for them as it's significantly cheaper, but a similar thing was done recently in Tipp City up in Miami County where the 2001-SRNs there from '97 were replaced with new 2001-130s in 2019 and 2021.

2 new units were installed a few months ago by WSS, replacing the older sirens I believe in the same locations. I imagine they will do what Tipp City did and replace the rest of the older 2001's of the same age over time.
masoncity replace siren.PNG
masoncity replace siren.PNG (126.28 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
sirenfreak57

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:14 am

I wonder if they will replace the SRNB as well. I believe it may have replaced an older 2001 of the same age as the others.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

CincyTboltman

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:36 am

Interesting. I wonder if Deerfield Township's 2001-SRN will be part of the upgrade. It's the one at Cottel Park that is up the street from me. If so, I may even try to acquire it. I know it was put in around 1998 before the Blue Ash Tornado of 1999. Federal Field upgraded the controls and battery box a couple of years ago.

I didn't know that Mason was planning to replace all sirens. I wonder if Federal Field is installing the new ones? They pushed the 2001-130 over the 508 many times, although the 508 covers more.

CincyTboltman

Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:47 am

I've heard that the 2001 on Butler Warren next to Trinity Church replaced a Thunderbolt that covered Voice Of America Metropark, since it used to be a military base decades ago. This could be a rumor, since I haven't found many records about it.

fire_freak_57

Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:16 pm

CincyTboltman wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:36 am
Interesting. I wonder if Deerfield Township's 2001-SRN will be part of the upgrade. It's the one at Cottel Park that is up the street from me. If so, I may even try to acquire it. I know it was put in around 1998 before the Blue Ash Tornado of 1999. Federal Field upgraded the controls and battery box a couple of years ago.

I didn't know that Mason was planning to replace all sirens. I wonder if Federal Field is installing the new ones? They pushed the 2001-130 over the 508 many times, although the 508 covers more.
Federal Field does not install them, WSS of Allendale, MI does. Federal Field only does service calls when stuff breaks.

As far as I’m aware, Federal Signal does not provide parts support for the 2001-SRN any longer due to its belt driven rotation assembly.
Might be a good idea to at least get some on film before they’re gone.
sirenfreak57

Return to “Community Systems”