Tboltguy

Anybody recognize this FS&S STH-10B?

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:09 am

Greetings all,

I recently acquired this FS&S STH-10B, and I'm currently trying to figure out where it was originally installed. If anyone recognizes my siren or has any ideas, please let me know!

Thanks, Milo
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 1821 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (1.78 MiB) Viewed 1821 times
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1821 times
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Reactor Cat
YouTube Username: mrmeowmeowclaw

Re: Anybody recognize this FS&S STH-10B?

Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:06 pm

Idk but from what i see, Its a 1 phase
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:45 pm

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
He... already knows that. He literally said so in the title, hence the name of the thread being "Anybody recognize this FS&S STH-10B?" Why would you make that comment? It doesn't provide any useful info or help the author.

Anyway, back on topic.
Your siren is very strange. It looks like an early (late 50s-early 60s) three-phase model, but the tag says it's single-phase. It has a GE motor which is usually three-phase (every GE motor STX-10 and XT22 I've seen is three-phase).
STH-10Bs usually look like this.
Attachments
8623841894_5b2fcffa39_b.jpg
STH-10B
8623841894_5b2fcffa39_b.jpg (96.14 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Reactor Cat
YouTube Username: mrmeowmeowclaw

Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:12 am

championsiren wrote:
Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
He... already knows that. He literally said so in the title, hence the name of the thread being "Anybody recognize this FS&S STH-10B?" Why would you make that comment? It doesn't provide any useful info or help the author.
Dont have to be rude about it. Im not that familiar with FS sirens
I like snowmobiles and sirens. Who likes snowmobiles. I own a Skidoo Safari 447. Rare engine indeed. Want proof. DM me on discord. Contact ReactorCat#1004 :D :)

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:17 am

Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:12 am
championsiren wrote:
Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:
Dont have to be rude about it. Im not that familiar with FS sirens
Oh, sorry.
Well, Three-Phase sirens have an A at the end of the name (ex: 3T22A) and Single-phase sirens have a B at the end of the name (ex: 3T22B)
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

Tboltguy

Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:22 am

championsiren wrote:
Mrmeowmeowclaw wrote:

Anyway, back on topic.
Your siren is very strange. It looks like an early (late 50s-early 60s) three-phase model, but the tag says it's single-phase. It has a GE motor which is usually three-phase (every GE motor STX-10 and XT22 I've seen is three-phase).
STH-10Bs usually look like this.
I can confirm it's a single phase, it has four brushes at the bottom of the motor and two wires coming from the motor. I wired it up the other day, and the motor just buzzed. Currently working on troubleshooting that.
Very proud owner of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000A, a Federal Sign & Signal Model D, a Federal Sign & Signal STH-10B, and two Federal Signal IC-S2S4s (5 & 13 Port Variants).

Model L
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: Egress
Discord: Egress.

Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:29 am

Tboltguy wrote:
I can confirm it's a single phase, it has four brushes at the bottom of the motor and two wires coming from the motor. I wired it up the other day, and the motor just buzzed. Currently working on troubleshooting that.
does the rotor spin freely by hand? it should.
Resident of Beaverton, Oregon
Proud owner of 2 Model L's and a 1984 WS-3000 serial # 717
19 years old
want to chat? send me a request on discord: Egress.#7444 or DM me

Tboltguy

Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:54 am

Model L wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:29 am
Tboltguy wrote:
does the rotor spin freely by hand? it should.
It does, but the bearing isn't great. Hoping to get the motor cap off and lubricate it tomorrow.

OHIO Desperado

Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:54 am

If it's just buzzing I would be looking at the brushes.
Those motors are a repulsion / induction design. The brushes are actually shorted together and the field induces currents into the armature creating the magnetic field.

A common failure on them is the brushes get locked up in the holders and stop making contact with the commutator rendering the siren inoperable.

www.carbonbrushes.com has the brushes for that siren for FAR less than what federal wants for them. They are also a common brush size. They were used by Lincoln Electric in the 200 SA engine driven welders in the exciters.

Measure the height width and length of the brushes and use that info to get the right ones. I believe mine were 30 bucks of something to that effect, but they were not real expensive. You will no doubt need to pull the brush holders and clean them out real good and possibly use a file to open them up enough for the brushes to slide smoothly in and out. Springs can be rebend if the tabs are broken off.

To seat the new brushes, use the directions from federal included in the STH / STL-10 manual located here on the site.

I would advise using 110 volts to run in the brushes however. It will need to be run for a length of time and dealing with a tornado siren at full song for that length of time only upsets people.

Tboltguy

Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:22 am

kb8vul wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:54 am
If it's just buzzing I would be looking at the brushes.
Those motors are a repulsion / induction design. The brushes are actually shorted together and the field induces currents into the armature creating the magnetic field.

A common failure on them is the brushes get locked up in the holders and stop making contact with the commutator rendering the siren inoperable.

www.carbonbrushes.com has the brushes for that siren for FAR less than what federal wants for them. They are also a common brush size. They were used by Lincoln Electric in the 200 SA engine driven welders in the exciters.

Measure the height width and length of the brushes and use that info to get the right ones. I believe mine were 30 bucks of something to that effect, but they were not real expensive. You will no doubt need to pull the brush holders and clean them out real good and possibly use a file to open them up enough for the brushes to slide smoothly in and out. Springs can be rebend if the tabs are broken off.

To seat the new brushes, use the directions from federal included in the STH / STL-10 manual located here on the site.

I would advise using 110 volts to run in the brushes however. It will need to be run for a length of time and dealing with a tornado siren at full song for that length of time only upsets people.
Thanks for the help! I'll definitely take a closer look at the brushes and replace them if necessary. Only issue is they're held in by a small, highly tensioned spool of flat sheet metal, that I was advised would break or shoot out of the motor at unimaginable speeds if I tampered with it/tried to service it. Any advice for how to safely remove that without causing any damage?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”