Hacksaw

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Sun Jun 12, 2022 3:05 pm

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:55 pm

Yeah, I’ve seen that article before, and other locals probably have as well. That severe weather outbreak is what really pushed the need for more sirens as well as replacing old ones without battery backup. Several suburbs went ahead and did it themselves within the 10 years after this happened, but it wasn’t until after that when Hamilton County finally filled the majority of coverage gaps and replaced all remaining old sirens lacking battery backup.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy

Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:22 pm

Hamilton County has postponed their test until next week, even though the forecast doesn’t show any inclement weather until mid afternoon currently. But I left town around 6:45 this morning, was there any other rain this morning?

Warren County EMA canceled their test, and say that Franklin and Lebanon may still test their own sirens at their own discretion.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

mrboojay
YouTube Username: mrboojay13
Discord: mrboojay

Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:51 pm

Well sadly with Boone County being the inconsistant thing it continues to be, they did not go off today. I did hear the sirens over in Rising Sun go off so Ohio County tested.
Proud owner of a 1986 Thunderbeam RSH-10B (Blown) and a 1954 Thunderbolt 1000A. (With 4/5)
flickr
YouTube

CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:40 pm

Goshen Township Fire Station 18 was partially destroyed by a confirmed tornado this afternoon. The yellow Penetrator on top is still standing, but may be removed soon. It's my understanding that nobody got hurt. There are pics on Twitter about it.

Here's a news link. You can see the Penetrator if you zoom in.
https://www.wcpo.com/weather/nws-tornad ... -thousands
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:27 pm

CincyTboltman wrote:
Goshen Township Fire Station 18 was partially destroyed by a confirmed tornado this afternoon. The yellow Penetrator on top is still standing, but may be removed soon. It's my understanding that nobody got hurt. There are pics on Twitter about it.

Just wanted to update, Goshen Twp has decided to deactivate their sirens permanently after the tornado.

https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/cl ... ens-failed

I think the current T-128s (if any still run with good batteries in them as they are "DC-Only"), will probably be run until they die and not be touched after that. I haven't read into anything officially so I'm not sure.

Also in regards to Hamilton County, I was at a training exercise (which coincidentally was tornado themed) with Ham Co EMHSA staff as part of my internship on Wednesday (we were at Mt St Joseph University) and since we ended around 11:30 I decided to record the SRN on top of Seton Hall there.

Unfortunately my video came out slightly botched since I set up with minutes to spare but it is what it is. You can hear surrounding T-128s in other parts of Delhi Township throughout the video as well, which I thought was kind of cool. According to records on the office computers this very-late production SRN was installed around January of 2003. It was nice to finally record something in Hamilton County, since it is not real close to where I live (a little over an hour south), prior to this internship this summer at EMA I didn't go down there much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnQSQ8ccc-8
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:43 pm

fire_freak_57 wrote:
CincyTboltman wrote:

Just wanted to update, Goshen Twp has decided to deactivate their sirens permanently after the tornado.

I think the current T-128s (if any still run with good batteries in them as they are "DC-Only"), will probably be run until they die and not be touched after that. I haven't read into anything officially so I'm not sure.

Also in regards to Hamilton County, I was at a training exercise (which coincidentally was tornado themed) with Ham Co EMHSA staff as part of my internship on Wednesday (we were at Mt St Joseph University) and since we ended around 11:30 I decided to record the SRN on top of Seton Hall there.

Unfortunately my video came out slightly botched since I set up with minutes to spare but it is what it is. You can hear surrounding T-128s in other parts of Delhi Township throughout the video as well, which I thought was kind of cool. According to records on the office computers this very-late production SRN was installed around January of 2003. It was nice to finally record something in Hamilton County, since it is not real close to where I live (a little over an hour south), prior to this internship this summer at EMA I didn't go down there much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnQSQ8ccc-8
Yes, I'm aware about goshen Township's P-15 being permanently deactivated. I heard that it was not even hooked to a radio. It had to be manually activated. There wasn't enough time for them to activate it.
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

fire_freak_57
YouTube Username: sirenfreak57
Discord: firefreak57#0781

Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:33 pm

CincyTboltman wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:43 pm
fire_freak_57 wrote:
CincyTboltman wrote:

Yes, I'm aware about goshen Township's P-15 being permanently deactivated. I heard that it was not even hooked to a radio. It had to be manually activated. There wasn't enough time for them to activate it.
It should have had a radio on it, as far as I'm aware & from videos of it, it was radio activated along with the two T-128s in the Township. My understanding at least from the news was that none of Clermont County's sirens were activated before the tornado touched down, as there was about 90 seconds between the warning first going out and the tornado hitting, I think there was simply not enough time.
sirenfreak57
Owner of a Allertor 125 Control Cabinet, EOWS Driver, and other odds and ends.
My YouTube Channel | Summit County Siren Map | Cuyahoga County Siren Map

carexpertandy

Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:42 pm

Many of you likely know by now, but one of the downtown E-Class sirens is no longer located on Paul Brown Stadium… it’s now on Paycor Stadium!

Josh R
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: SWOhioSirens

Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:21 pm

carexpertandy wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:42 pm
Many of you likely know by now, but one of the downtown E-Class sirens is no longer located on Paul Brown Stadium… it’s now on Paycor Stadium!
Haha I know! :lol: I’m not sure if I like the name “Paycor” as much, but it is what it is (they gained the naming rights to PBS)! For my entire life (I think), it’s always been Paul Brown Stadium, so it’s weird to call it something different.
Josh Reed
Moderator of The Siren Board
23, Ohio

Owner of a Federal Thunderbolt 1000BT, an AR Timer, and a gray 12 volt siren.

My YouTube Channel

Return to “Community Systems”