championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Rotterdam NY Model Y

Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWYWrnRol_M

I forgot to post this here, but back in the tail end of August, I went up to New York to visit Amsterdam/Fonda and the Adirondack Live Steamers. I visited 3 sirens up there, and this is the only one that went off. I went here, then to a 5T which I probably didn't stay enough for because it was pouring, and the next day I went to Troy's STH-10 which failed the supposed noon test and as an added bonus the fire department told me it was private property (even though someone's been there... twice.)
It wasn't very loud but it still vibrated the ground.
Next time I go up there, I'm going to visit the Delanson 2001-SRN which tests at 11 every day.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

29 ALF

Re: Rotterdam NY Model Y

Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:18 am

That part of the state has a lot of interesting sirens. Down the street from RFD#2 is the town hall, which as far as I remember has the last remaining SD-10 in the old C.D. system. Right next to it is a Little Giant.
Delanson tests at noon, as does the STL-10 in Duanesburg.
One more thing, that old jailbait thunderbolt is still on Albany St. in Schenectady the last I saw. It's been awhile since I've been out east though.

championsiren

Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:13 pm

29 ALF wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:18 am
That part of the state has a lot of interesting sirens. Down the street from RFD#2 is the town hall, which as far as I remember has the last remaining SD-10 in the old C.D. system. Right next to it is a Little Giant.
Delanson tests at noon, as does the STL-10 in Duanesburg.
One more thing, that old jailbait thunderbolt is still on Albany St. in Schenectady the last I saw. It's been awhile since I've been out east though.
Thanks! I got word that Delanson tested at 11, thanks for the correction. I'll add that to my map.
Pretty sure the 5(T) that I went to goes off at 6. I'll head up to that next time I'm up there, which should be this Christmas.

29 ALF

Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:42 pm

No problem. I'm curious to know what 5T you're referring to, as I never knew one was out there.
Delanson aims for noon as the 2001 is on a timer. With daylight savings, it goes off at 11 until the FD adjusts it.
I wish I asked what it replaced, a couple of guys said it used to be loud enough to hear several towns over, but I doubt it was a thunderbolt. Quaker Street (at the top of the hill) has a Model 2 (replaced an STL-10 and Darley Model 2) that should test at 6PM, although last I was through there it was having issues.

championsiren

Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:21 pm

29 ALF wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:42 pm
No problem. I'm curious to know what 5T you're referring to, as I never knew one was out there.
Delanson aims for noon as the 2001 is on a timer. With daylight savings, it goes off at 11 until the FD adjusts it.
I wish I asked what it replaced, a couple of guys said it used to be loud enough to hear several towns over, but I doubt it was a thunderbolt. Quaker Street (at the top of the hill) has a Model 2 (replaced an STL-10 and Darley Model 2) that should test at 6PM, although last I was through there it was having issues.
Well, I'm not certain that it was a 5T, but it was a 5 that was in yellow paint, which usually means that it's dual-tone, because IIRC dual-tone federals came yellow unless otherwise requested.
It could just be a 5, which is more likely...
I'm working on a comprehensive N.Y. State Siren Map, I'm curious if you'd like to contribute?

29 ALF

Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:38 pm

Yeah, I can help with that. The map in the mapping forum has a lot of precise location salready, and I can fill some of the gaps per se.

championsiren

Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:00 pm

I'm making an entirely new map from scratch. It's nowhere near complete, but info wise it's better than what we currently have. Location wise it's not. Trying to make this one actively updated with testing information.
Can you DM me your email so I can add you?

Return to “Videos and Media”