MysteryTexan75
New User

How were gas/engine powered sirens operated?

Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:42 am

How were Sirens like the gas powered Mobil Directo operated? I assume those sirens needed their engines to be started and a clutch to be engaged in order, as well as a throttle controls, which would have all required some sort of manual operator to control. In addition, the siren mist have needed refueling periodically. It would also dictate that the siren be placed near someone who could quickly sound it in case of an emergency. Are all of these facts true or was there some method of remote operation in place?

I am sorry if I posted this wrong, this is my first post on this board.

Sentry88

Re: How were gas/engine powered sirens operated?

Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:52 am

Welcome to the board! I think they could be equipped with a starter solenoid, but you would have to go up by it to refuel it and maintain it.
Proud owner of nothing!
Hello, fellow siren enthusiasts. I'm going to be back on the board from time to time but probably won't post much.

jerrylovessirens

Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:39 am

I can't speak for the Chrysler Air Raid Sirens, but can on Mobil Directos

Mobil Directos could be ordered with various degrees of automation. Now by automation we mean totally electro-mechanical means.
Mine was not equipped with any sort of of remote start capabilities. It was roof mounted, so I imagine someone would climb up though a roof access, start the machine manually, sound it, then shut it off (while it was spinning no doubt)
Other Mobil Directos, like the one in York PA, had a full collector ring system on the turntable pivot that would transmit signals from a remote control box or even a telephone relay system. When you would activate it from these boxes, a signal would go to the start/run Startix relay and begin cranking the motor until it started. The Bendix auto-choke would automatically apply, and once started, a short idle warm up cycle(listed as 15 seconds) would be ran by a pair of Agastats (time delay relay) As soon as the warm up time was complete, the Agastats would close and activate the throttle solenoid for the set time. The Mobil Directo has a centrifugal clutch, so any running above idle will engage and run the chopper. The engine would then throttle up to 3000rpm and sound the siren. Further commands to the agastats could be given to them to continue sounding or shutoff the siren
Jerry

Owner of former Wisconsin Dells/Lyndon Station Decot Model 12 (10/15 port)

Owner of the world's only fully operational Mobil Directo BN52G

siren fan

Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:14 pm

I remember hearing the Chrysler sirens were started by hand and a person would "ride" behind the siren while it spins controlling the engine throttle, thus affected the sound output.

thekek

Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:29 am

siren fan wrote:
I remember hearing the Chrysler sirens were started by hand and a person would "ride" behind the siren while it spins controlling the engine throttle, thus affected the sound output.
And dude operating it would get vaporized by the nuke coming at them while warning the population. I doubt there were was anybody willing to operate it while under attack.

Unit of Civil Defense

Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:03 pm

The MAN, not a dude, would have been part of the "greatest generation". These where the men who fought and died defending our county and all that it stood for in World War II ....some where not even of legal age yet....still boys themselves. This generation was not made up of a bunch of punk, sissies.
I am quite sure the willing volunteers wanting to operate the siren in the event of an attack was quite long...service to the community and the nation as a whole was paramount in most peoples lives back then unlike today.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:28 am

jerrylovessirens wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:39 am
I can't speak for the Chrysler Air Raid Sirens, but can on Mobil Directos

Mobil Directos could be ordered with various degrees of automation. Now by automation we mean totally electro-mechanical means.
Mine was not equipped with any sort of of remote start capabilities. It was roof mounted, so I imagine someone would climb up though a roof access, start the machine manually, sound it, then shut it off (while it was spinning no doubt)
Other Mobil Directos, like the one in York PA, had a full collector ring system on the turntable pivot that would transmit signals from a remote control box or even a telephone relay system. When you would activate it from these boxes, a signal would go to the start/run Startix relay and begin cranking the motor until it started. The Bendix auto-choke would automatically apply, and once started, a short idle warm up cycle(listed as 15 seconds) would be ran by a pair of Agastats (time delay relay) As soon as the warm up time was complete, the Agastats would close and activate the throttle solenoid for the set time. The Mobil Directo has a centrifugal clutch, so any running above idle will engage and run the chopper. The engine would then throttle up to 3000rpm and sound the siren. Further commands to the agastats could be given to them to continue sounding or shutoff the siren
Thanks for the explanation! I'd hate to be the guy who'd have to manually run the thing, especially with it spinning. Shows how much workplace safety has changed over the years :P

siren fan wrote:
I think that was an option. I remember looking at the Chrysler Victory Siren in Rochester, NY awhile ago and it seemed to have a signal line running to it in addition to a power line. It still has the clutch handle on it. I'm guessing that the clutch was either always engaged or it had some kind of actuator that would engage it. I can't remember exactly - would have to see if I have any pictures of that. Though it would be easier to ask someone who ones one of those big sirens, I suppose :D
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Ziginox

Wed Dec 28, 2022 9:58 pm

Sentry88 wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:52 am
Welcome to the board! I think they could be equipped with a starter solenoid, but you would have to go up by it to refuel it and maintain it.
I don't think a starter solenoid does what you think it does. It's there to move the starter's pinion gear to engage with teeth on the flywheel, as well as close the high-current contact to deliver battery power to the starter.
Pretty much any motor with electric start past a certain era uses one.
The Mobil Directo uses this system. The Chrysler-Bell siren likely uses a Bendix drive to accomplish the same thing, instead, but I'm not certain.
No idea on the 2000 and 7000 Thunderbolts. but I'd guess they use a solenoid actuated system.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”