Greg_E
New User

Philadelphia Sirens

Sun May 10, 2020 4:16 am

Hello Everyone,

I'm somewhat new to the hobby. I live in Northeast Philadelphia, very close to the border with Montgomery County and not far from the Bucks County border either. If anyone knows the area, I am within earshot of the Huntingdon Valley and Bryn Athyn fire houses. Hearing them over the past few years has helped me develop a casual interest in fire sirens.

Being ordered to stay at home, I've had more time to research and came across some maps created by some of the members here. The one I found for Pennsylvania was very extensive and a GREAT tool... but I noticed there were no sirens listed in Philadelphia! I happen to know the location of a few, but forgive me: I don't know much about the sirens themselves.

AdvanSix is a chemical plant that is well known in the city as it sits next to I-95 and has been a fixture in the Bridesburg area for decades. In late 2013 they published the locations of a siren system for this location to be used in case of emergencies at the plant as well as for major incidents on I-95 and the nearby railroads.
https://www.advansix.com/frankford/?doc ... download=1

All locations of these sirens are up-to-date except for the location at State Rd and Carter St. Due to changing hands of the properties it appears the siren that was there has been taken down or relocated. I think all of these are the same make and model... If Google Map photos aren't allowed I can take these down! I should be able to get my own photos when these restrictions are lifted.
Aramingo Ave. and Margaret St.

Richmond St. and Buckius St.

Wakeling St. and Worth St.

Even though I work nearby, I've never heard the Wednesday tests at noon (I'm a teacher...) But friends in the area have told me about the tests over the years so I'm sure they're still active.

Another note to make is Temple University and University of Pennsylvania also have siren systems, though I'm not certain of the location. Both can be heard throughout the neighborhoods and usually only go off for severe weather events or lockdowns.

Added 5/10/2020
The South Philadelphia refinery has been the site of many fires and emergencies. In 2006, Sunoco had a siren warning system installed in a joint effort with the city. The Philadelphia Fire Department has control of this system and sometimes uses it for emergencies aside from those at the refinery. They are definitely still in use as they went off for a large inferno that erupted less than 2 years ago.

Here is an article with more details and exact locations:
https://www.thegreencities.com/energy/r ... emergency/

And here is a photo. They are all this make and model.

If I find any more or have anything else to share, I'll be sure to chime in here!
Attachments
3C651BD1-03EE-435C-8F9D-632F98B980C7.jpeg
3C651BD1-03EE-435C-8F9D-632F98B980C7.jpeg (165.03 KiB) Viewed 3851 times
Last edited by Greg_E on Mon May 11, 2020 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Re: Philadelphia Sirens

Sun May 10, 2020 5:25 am

Those sirens above are Modulator 4016s. What's interesting is these actually replaced ACA Alertronics which were installed in 1987. The article also mentions a fourth siren located at "a former Frankford Arsenal property that is now owned by the county Fish Commission."

(View the uncompressed image here)
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Greg_E
New User

Sun May 10, 2020 3:58 pm

Thanks for that info! Yes, in 2013 the Arsenal was still standing when this was published and I think I know where it had been located. About a year or two after this, Dietz and Watson lost their main operation in Delanco, NJ to a fire and greatly expanded their Philly operation. They doubled the size of their warehouse and their parking lot and it encroached on the Arsenal’s land where I think the siren used to be. I couldn’t find it anywhere in current images!

wallaat
YouTube Username: Trashboy275

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:38 pm

Question Are they Still Standing today?
Andrew Wallace Cadet firefighter of Hatfield fire company
owner of Fedelcode model 3, Model 5, H.O.R. siro-drone 2 hp, 1990 e-one franklin mint and other franklin mints

championsiren
YouTube Username: Position Light Productions
Discord: Same as my YT #6187

Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:04 pm

wallaat wrote:
You could have easily looked up these addresses in gmaps and seen them for yourself... also, this post was made in 2020, so I think it's safe to say yes.
"Someday soon we'll stop to ponder what on earth's this spell we're under...
We made the grade and still we wonder who the hell we are..."
-Styx, from The Grand Illusion

wallaat

Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:23 pm

championsiren wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:04 pm
wallaat wrote:
You could have easily looked up these addresses in gmaps and seen them for yourself... also, this post was made in 2020, so I think it's safe to say yes.
thank you i went down yesterday and saw one of the 2001 sirens
owner of Fedelcode model 3, Model 5, H.O.R. siro-drone 2 hp, 1990 e-one franklin mint and other franklin mints

wallaat

Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:24 pm

i was down on worth st a month ago by the park where the modulator is showed it was not there in 2021

Wofchristian
New User

Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:42 am

There is an ACA Cyclone atop the Passayunk PGW plant, with an Eclipse 8 nearby as well. Both are tested monthly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBNPkSlkFA

There is also an inactive Thunderbolt atop Thomas Holmes Elementary School. And there is also an abandoned Model 2 at Castor and Unruh in Oxford Circle.

Also, are you able to hear Feasterville's 500AT siren from your place?

Greg_E
New User

Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:22 pm

I did not notice that about Thomas Holme but it makes sense given the era the school was built.

And yes, I can hear Feasterville from where I live if the weather conditions are right.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”