Eclipse DDS
YouTube Username: Civil Defence Fox

Re: UK Siren Ma

Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:39 pm

BusBedford87 wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:48 pm
Eclipse DDS wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:26 pm
According to a couple of people I talked to, there was at some point a Thunderbolt in the UK. Anyone know anything?
I’ve heard about this. Off the top of my head, it was located atop a factory somewhere and used as some sort of plant warning alarm. It was said to be depicted in photos that cannot be found anymore, and that it was removed in the 90s. I want to say the factory was located in South Wales but don’t take my word for it.
Yeah, I thought that I had heard something along the lines of that too. Where do you think I could find any more information? I would really like to dig into this a bit further.
Owner of the first confirmed Mez H1/B2 in the UK :D

traintraveler
YouTube Username: Train Traveler

Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:52 pm

Eclipse DDS wrote:
BusBedford87 wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:
According to a couple of people I talked to, there was at some point a Thunderbolt in the UK. Anyone know anything?
I’ve heard about this. Off the top of my head, it was located atop a factory somewhere and used as some sort of plant warning alarm. It was said to be depicted in photos that cannot be found anymore, and that it was removed in the 90s. I want to say the factory was located in South Wales but don’t take my word for it.
Yeah, I thought that I had heard something along the lines of that too. Where do you think I could find any more information? I would really like to dig into this a bit further.
This is very interesting. If the 7026's in Kuwait and the unknown locations in Russia are anything to go by (including a reported location in Japan, although, this Japanese location probably doesn't exist) we could have another foreign Thunderbolt on our hands.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

BusBedford87

YouTube Username: BusBedfordYT

Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:54 am

Eclipse DDS wrote:
BusBedford87 wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:
RE this I’m not entirely sure sadly as I can’t remember how I heard about it. Someone will hopefully come along who knows a bit more than I do.

Old school American sirens in the UK fascinate me, especially Sullom Voe’s 3T22s, does anyone know much about those?

Eclipse DDS

Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:59 pm

BusBedford87 wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:
BusBedford87 wrote:

RE this I’m not entirely sure sadly as I can’t remember how I heard about it. Someone will hopefully come along who knows a bit more than I do.

Old school American sirens in the UK fascinate me, especially Sullom Voe’s 3T22s, does anyone know much about those?
If we both heard about the T-Bolt there must be some source of information somewhere.

I know nothing about the 3T22s as of now, but I will be visiting them this year and I will talk to some staff about them at some point.

BusBedford87

Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:53 pm

Eclipse DDS wrote:
BusBedford87 wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:

If we both heard about the T-Bolt there must be some source of information somewhere.

I know nothing about the 3T22s as of now, but I will be visiting them this year and I will talk to some staff about them at some point.
Keep me updated, would be interesting to know if they test. I’m thinking of putting together a spreadsheet to release that documents all known siren tests in the UK, so people who want to film certain sirens can be aware of their timings.

Eclipse DDS

Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:05 pm

BusBedford87 wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:
BusBedford87 wrote:

Keep me updated, would be interesting to know if they test. I’m thinking of putting together a spreadsheet to release that documents all known siren tests in the UK, so people who want to film certain sirens can be aware of their timings.
Will do. That reminds me, I forgot to say this before but the Chapelcross ex-nuclear power station tests its Klaxon GP6 on the first Thursday of every month. Also, it might just be me, but when I recorded it (the file of which I don't think that I am permitted to share, I had to gain official security clearance to do so), it sounded like there were 2 sirens on the site. It may have just been the main siren echoing, but the windup just seemed very distinct.

BusBedford87

Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:19 pm

Eclipse DDS wrote:
BusBedford87 wrote:
Eclipse DDS wrote:

Will do. That reminds me, I forgot to say this before but the Chapelcross ex-nuclear power station tests its Klaxon GP6 on the first Thursday of every month. Also, it might just be me, but when I recorded it (the file of which I don't think that I am permitted to share, I had to gain official security clearance to do so), it sounded like there were 2 sirens on the site. It may have just been the main siren echoing, but the windup just seemed very distinct.
That surprises me that it’s not allowed to be released. If the siren can be heard from off site, which presumably it can as it needs to fulfil its function as an outdoor warning device and warn neighbours and residents beyond the plant boundaries, then what’s to stop me from recording it from off site, say in a field or something?

Official security clearance seems logical, but I’m not sure why they wouldn’t want people to know what the alarm sounds like.

Eclipse DDS

Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:17 am

BusBedford87 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:19 pm
Eclipse DDS wrote:
BusBedford87 wrote:

That surprises me that it’s not allowed to be released. If the siren can be heard from off site, which presumably it can as it needs to fulfil its function as an outdoor warning device and warn neighbours and residents beyond the plant boundaries, then what’s to stop me from recording it from off site, say in a field or something?

Official security clearance seems logical, but I’m not sure why they wouldn’t want people to know what the alarm sounds like.
Yeah, I did ask about the whole no photography thing, and they said that it is because there is still some important stuff on-site. The place used to be used to make nuclear weapons, after all. I think that you are allowed to photograph the site, but just not in proper detail, as in not close up. Honestly, I am not too sure about whether I would be permitted to upload the recording here, so I will ask the staff again at some point. Another slightly confusing point is that fact that you can see into the site relatively clearly on Google StreetView, which obviously goes against their policy, but I don’t know. There is a LOT of signage around the site warning of criminal fines if photos are taken, so they don’t take this kind of thing lightly.

So yeah, I will ask the staff about the recording again.

Eclipse DDS

Re: UK Siren Map

Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:53 pm

BIG NEWS!

The Carlisle, Cumbria Klaxon is ACTIVE!
I was talking to a friend who works near the siren, and he said that he used to hear it sound once every six months.
However, since the Ukraine War began it has started sounding once every two months!
I will try to gather more information on this, but this is what I know so far. This is very exciting!
Last edited by Eclipse DDS on Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BusBedford87

Re: UK Siren Map

Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:17 am

Awesome stuff!

Did you hear back from Sullom Voe or Chapelcross?

Return to “Siren Maps”