SilverThunder710YT
YouTube Username: SilverThunder710

Armed Forces Base Lost Sirens

Wed May 31, 2023 11:26 am

I was combing through old disaster footage from the 1970s all the way to 1999, when this clip caught my attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMe0VPQftsc&t=155s

One of the sirens is an overlayed sound, that generic 10-port siren you hear in just about everything. However, the other is actually in the video - Clearly a Federal Signal XT22 series siren. Considering what happened, there's little hope the siren in question survived, but it got me thinking: What were some old siren systems at other armed force camps that America was based out of? I know how modern systems tend to be set up: Lots of giant voice sirens like ATIs at NAS Corpus Christi and Modulators at Barksdale in Bossier City, but what did they replace?
Siren geek from South Texas. Although I've loved sirens for years, I've only recently begun digging into the rich history of civil defense. I also proudly own at least thirty weather band radios.

Unit of Civil Defense

Re: Armed Forces Base Lost Sirens

Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:18 am

....I don't know if this will be of any help, but it might provide you with some clues...pictures,videos....
There have been a few U.S.A.F bases that have been hit by tornado's here in the Midwest...most notably are Tinker AFB Ok. (the very first,ever, tornado forecast originated from here!), McConnell AFB Wichita, Ks. 1991 Andover tornado, Offutt AFB Omaha, Neb. 1970's???, might want to check Schilling air field (Army) in Salina, Ks. I think it may have been hit before it was decommissioned. I think that Ft.Riley (Army) in Ft. Riley Ks. has been hit...don't recall the dates. Another couple that come to mind are Richards Gebaur (USAF) 1957 Grandview,Mo. (Ks. City, Mo.) Ruskin Heights tornado and think that I read somewhere where Whiteman AFB in Knob Noster , Mo. had been hit...might be too recent for you as far as when it was hit.
Forbes Air Force Base (decommissioned in the early 70's) here in Topeka had sirens as it was a part of the Strategic Air Command during the Cold War. I have seen sirens on base, now know as Forbes field, but I doubt that they would be from the old siren system since the Kansas Army Air National Guard as well as the 170th Air Refueling wing of the Kansas Air National Guard now occupy quite a bit of the old air base as well as Heartland Park motor sports complex.
Rheems1 wrote: I petition that everyone who joins the board should have to put there age or year of birth in thier signature...32 here
....Lifes great, I'm 58

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”