DominatorSirens

Discord: TheDominator

Old Siren Mount?

Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:37 pm

So, I was searching for sirens in Blissfield, Michigan, and I found this mount on a building.
Screenshot_20230714-151213_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20230714-151213_Maps.jpg (690.99 KiB) Viewed 23720 times
Could this be an old siren mount? If it is, then either a Fedelcode or a Sterling could've been on there.

What do you think?
Just a guy who lives in Lenawee County, MI ;)

500AT

Re: Old Siren Mount?

Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:57 am

Yes! There was a very old Sterling M-5 on that mount, prior to the Blissfield Twp. FD moving into their new home. It's my understanding that one of the firefighters at the time has the siren in his garage at home.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:08 am

Quick reminder and absolutely being pedantic, but "M-5" isn't a name Sterling ever used, they're just Model Ms. Glad they saved it (potentially) instead of tossing it out like many other fire stations did.
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

DominatorSirens

Discord: TheDominator

Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:19 am

True, but I don't think he knows that they were actually called Model M's instead of "M-3, M-5, M-10, N-5, and Y-10."
Just a guy who lives in Lenawee County, MI ;)

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: UtahSirens

Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:49 am

Snowpix wrote:
Quick reminder and absolutely being pedantic, but "M-5" isn't a name Sterling ever used, they're just Model Ms.
He joined before many of us were even born, I think he gets a pass... Wasn't sure much would come from this thread, glad to hear it's still around.
State of Utah siren map - My channel
STH-10, SD-10, 2 Model 2s

Snowpix
YouTube Username: ArxCyberwolf
Discord: snowpix7911

Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:43 am

Synther wrote:
Snowpix wrote:
Quick reminder and absolutely being pedantic, but "M-5" isn't a name Sterling ever used, they're just Model Ms.
He joined before many of us were even born, I think he gets a pass... Wasn't sure much would come from this thread, glad to hear it's still around.
That is true lol. That misinfo's been around since he joined the board, and it's only recently come to light. That's a long time to be familiar with the other names!
Just a wolf, siren enthusiast and railfan.
Owner of the Civil Defense Sirens Wiki, the best site for accurate siren information.
https://civil-defense-sirens.fandom.com ... irens_Wiki
Proud owner of an FS&S Model L and Sterling Type F!

SunshineStateSirens

YouTube Username: Sipex6484
Discord: Sipex#6484

Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:27 am

Synther wrote:
Snowpix wrote:
I wouldn't skip out on a reminder for anyone. Proper Sterling information has been a long time coming, and the more widespread correct information is, the less newer enthusiasts could get mixed up.
Sterling Extraordinaire

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:20 am

SunshineStateSirens wrote:
Synther wrote:
Snowpix wrote:
I wouldn't skip out on a reminder for anyone. Proper Sterling information has been a long time coming, and the more widespread correct information is, the less newer enthusiasts could get mixed up.
We've been reminded multiple times, no need to harp on others for using an "incorrect" name, especially when we all know what is being discussed in the first place. Some people (myself included) just don't care. Back on topic.

SunshineStateSirens

YouTube Username: Sipex6484
Discord: Sipex#6484

Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:44 am

Synther wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:20 am
Synther wrote:

We've been reminded multiple times, no need to harp on others for using an "incorrect" name, especially when we all know what is being discussed in the first place. Some people (myself included) just don't care. Back on topic.
Not sure why you're using "Incorrect" in quotes as if "M-5" and "M-10" are, in fact, correct names. In accordance to the third rule of conduct for this board, Snowpix has delivered information that is both accurate and proven by experience and proper research, so I don't see why you'd be inclined to disagree with him.

Regardless, I believe it is best to use correct nomenclature if and whenever possible. While it may not be as obvious as say, tourists crossing the Florida border, there are dozens of new people joining the hobby by the month, especially of the younger variety. For the better of the siren hobby as a whole, it is essential that they are treated to some of the most accurate, up to date information possible, even if that means switching a few video titles and terms within your vocabulary.

While our friend groups may know what is true and what is not, this is not the case for our newer members.
Sterling Extraordinaire

Synther
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:01 pm

Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:44 am

Not sure why you're using "Incorrect" in quotes as if "M-5" and "M-10" are, in fact, correct names. In accordance to the third rule of conduct for this board, Snowpix has delivered information that is both accurate and proven by experience and proper research, so I don't see why you'd be inclined to disagree with him.

Regardless, I believe it is best to use correct nomenclature if and whenever possible. While it may not be as obvious as say, tourists crossing the Florida border, there are dozens of new people joining the hobby by the month, especially of the younger variety. For the better of the siren hobby as a whole, it is essential that they are treated to some of the most accurate, up to date information possible, even if that means switching a few video titles and terms within your vocabulary.

While our friend groups may know what is true and what is not, this is not the case for our newer members.
It's rather ironic you mention the Code of Conduct, considering you managed to break rules 3 and 4 in a single post.

I understand correcting someone over an obvious misidentification, however. Making comments like these while otherwise not contributing to the main post is, as mentioned earlier, pedantic. In all senses of the definition. We all know what someone is referring to when they refer to a siren as an "M-10". Same goes for basically any other siren out there with an assumed name, and if they aren't aware of the correct name, there are two siren wikis for that. What about "Tbolt"? Is that not allowed now? Do not get me wrong, we have had a surge of new information in recent years, but this is not the way to go about it. I do not care if it is on Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, or wherever else. If you're going to post, make it worthwhile.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”