ThatGuy2020

Repainting/Restoring sirens - Questions

Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:02 pm

I got a Model A recently, and it works absolutely wonderfully. But it has lubrication issues. I was wondering if there’s a way to put new lubricant in it.
Second question.
It has a lot of mysterious gunk stuff inside the projector next to the chopper and some dirt and dust on it, and I’m wondering if there’s any special way to clean it and if there’s any risks.
Third question
How do I repaint it? Some of the red paint is fading and if there’s a specific type of paint needed for it.
Last question
Is there any risk taking off any bolts? Specifically the tag.
Greetings from the state that can’t decide if it’s winter or summer!

HDN
YouTube Username: NotSureHowLoudThisCanGet

Re: Repainting/Restoring sirens - Questions

Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:46 am

For cleaning and painting, I'd completely disassemble the siren as far as I could, clean out the gunk with dish soap and hot water and let it dry. Use a wire brush to clean off any loose paint, primer, and rust, and repaint. I've been enjoying using Krylon Fusion spray paint for my vehicles as it's primer and paint all in one and is safe with plastics.

I'm not sure about lubrication as I'm not familiar with the Model A. I think there should be a manual available somewhere with those instructions.
~1950 Federal Enterprises Model 5 - 12-port
1995 AM General M35A3

Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: Repainting/Restoring sirens - Questions

Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:19 am

Can you post a picture of the motor? Most Model A’s made after the mid 1950s have a motor with two halves press fit together, and that makes it very challenging for a novice to open up. Believe me I know the pain of having an A with bad bearings!

The best way to resort it is to take it apart entirely. Thankfully it comes apart very easily, and as long as you keep track of the hardware and where it goes you’ll be fine. Get yourself some paint stripper (Jasco’s spray on remover works perfectly fine, and can be found at most hardware stores). Also be sure to sand off any remaining paint and rust, and work your way up to a finer grit sandpaper as you go. Just keep in mind you’ll want to do this when you’re ready to paint as it’ll start to rust very soon after, depending on the climate. Get yourself a good primer and paint; Rustoleum’s gloss enamel spray is a decent start, but stay away from any of the 2X variety, those will fade in no time. Just be sure to spray in a well ventilated area, so depending on where you are in the world, that may need to wait till spring.
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”