nickrusche

Re: Cincinnati Metropolitan Area Sirens

Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:07 pm

I drove through St. Bernard today and noticed that the Thunderbolt 1000 on top of St. Bernard Elmwood Place Elementary that I recorded back in April of 2010 has been removed, fortunately. They must be getting ready to demolish the old elementary school. I'm relieved that the siren was not demolished with the building. I just hope that the Thunderbolt on top of Macy's at the Tri-County Mall will be removed before it is demolished, as well as any other old siren that is on top of a building that is set for demolition.

nvanw27
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: 301.3 Productions
Discord: nottimwakefield

Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:46 am

nickrusche wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:07 pm
I drove through St. Bernard today and noticed that the Thunderbolt 1000 on top of St. Bernard Elmwood Place Elementary that I recorded back in April of 2010 has been removed, fortunately. They must be getting ready to demolish the old elementary school. I'm relieved that the siren was not demolished with the building. I just hope that the Thunderbolt on top of Macy's at the Tri-County Mall will be removed before it is demolished, as well as any other old siren that is on top of a building that is set for demolition.
Were you able to look around for it at all, or is it completely gone off the site?
-Nik VW
3.6 roentgen - Not Great, not terrible.

nickrusche

Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:16 am

I didn't see it. School was letting out at the time and I couldn't get a good look with all the traffic. The city garage is down the street, they may have taken it there. I will message the local siren installer later to see if he knows anything about it

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:29 am

While the Thunderbolt on this building was removed over 10 years ago, I just thought I would let you all know that Whitaker Elementary School is scheduled to begin demolition in May. Right now, the expectation is that a new residential development will likely be built on the property.
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

carexpertandy
YouTube Username: carexpertandy

Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:18 am

A couple years back, I shared a blurry 1950s photo of the Whitaker with the Thunderbolt visible back when it used to have a long stand pipe. Well somebody shared with me this yearbook cover with different photos of the building under construction when major renovations were done in the late 90s, and it includes a much clearer image of the Thunderbolt! So not too long after this, the siren was given a short standpipe and painted gray.
Attachments
IMG_3419.jpeg
IMG_3419.jpeg (336.64 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Resident of a county with big a mixture of sirens, but in the process of being replaced. :(

CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:56 pm

A little bit of an update for those interested: Harveysburg's 4/5 Thunderbolt 1000T got a new blower motor and works fine. The blower was reported to not be working properly in January.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Mr. Werden fixed the 1000T. He's fixed those ThunderBolts up there several times.
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

Return to “Community Systems”