ArkansasMom
New User

Towns wierd use of sirens.

Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:03 pm

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this.

I live in a small town in Conway county, AR, USA and after I moved here they suddenly started using the tornado siren anytime they need the volunteer fire department to deal with something.

I nearly panicked the first time they did it on a sunny day. I was afraid something was wrong with the nearby nuclear power plant.

It drives me nuts. I remember some days where it went off more than 4 times, no weather. At this point I am afraid that it will be ignored subconsciously and a tornado will wipe out the town.

Is this against any rules or laws? Or is it supposed to be managed by common sense?

TY

NewEnglander1212

Re: Towns wierd use of sirens.

Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:18 am

Volunteer fire departments, especially in rural areas, often use sirens to summon firefighters to the station when an emergency comes up, such as a fire or an accident. In some cases, a siren can pull double/triple-duty for fires, tornadoes, and/or other emergencies as needed.

JeroenTheEnthusiast

Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:25 am

ArkansasMom wrote:

I live in a small town in Conway county, AR, USA and after I moved here they suddenly started using the tornado siren anytime they need the volunteer fire department to deal with something.

I nearly panicked the first time they did it on a sunny day. I was afraid something was wrong with the nearby nuclear power plant.

It drives me nuts. I remember some days where it went off more than 4 times, no weather. At this point I am afraid that it will be ignored subconsciously and a tornado will wipe out the town.

Is this against any rules or laws? Or is it supposed to be managed by common sense?

TY
Volunteer fire Departments will usually test their Sirens or use them for fire calls. The main purpose of them is to alert the firefighters who work at that Fire Department of an emergency. I live near a fire department and they have a siren that they use for fire calls so its normal and you shouldn't be worried unless an emergency alert pops up on your phone and if the siren is going off at the same time. And no, it is not against rules or laws as having a Siren at a fire department is very normal. Have a Good Day!
I officially own an ASC E-class as of 2024. I also own 3D printed mini sirens such as a 3T22, Cyclone 125, and Screamer.

|| = [ ]
||
||-||
||-||
||_____
||===||

traintraveler
YouTube Username: Train Traveler

Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:24 am

ArkansasMom wrote:

TY
No rule or law against it. As long as the department owns it or has permission from the local government authority, they can do whatever they want with it.

The reason why it's used is to call the firefighters to the station in event of a fire, vehicular accident, rescue, or any other type of emergency they respond to. Considering that the department only began using it recently, they likely added it as a second line in defense to their member's pager radios, in case if they fail. Really smart idea from the way I perceive it.
High Hoods!
Lord knows I can't change
Lord, help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah

CincyTboltman
YouTube Username: W202fan

Sun Jun 16, 2024 11:38 pm

This isn't unusual. Forest Park in Cincinnati OH used a 2t22 siren for fire calls when it was in service as a civil defense siren. The fire department didn't own it at the time, as the county recieved civil defense funding.
Siren enthusiast, gamer, car enthusiast.

ThatGuy2020

Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:18 am

The use of fire sirens has been a thing since firefighters were first needed before pagers and phone alerts, and it’s a tradition for fire departments even if they have pagers.
I own 2 sirens (soon 3). 16+ radios. 5 Cassette players. 4 CD players. 15 of the 16 Wings of Fire books (including Darkstalker)

Greenrid

Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:46 pm

It doesn't only have to be that the fire department is using it for fire calls, either. It can be for anything like noon blasts, courtesy blasts, or even for special events happening, like a Halloween blast or a "first day of summer" blast! It also doesn't always have to be for the fire department, but if the siren you're hearing is on or near the department, it's usually used for fire calls. Some towns can use different signals if their siren pulls double-duty, so make sure to listen out for those as well!
Proud owner of a E.A Labs Sireane Jr!

Also the proud owner of the FULL 508 siren map! https://rb.gy/bgjrm1

siren_face2000

Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:42 pm

It’s not uncommon. Mobridge, SD has a siren that’s used for fire calls.

Catonawavewave

YouTube Username: NaturalStateSirens
Discord: catonawavewave

Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:02 am

Little late here, I'm nearby and have been to Conway county a couple times for siren photos, there's couple towns, such as a Plumerville that sounds their old Sterling Model M siren for calls, scared me the first time I heard it. Also nearby Opello also usually sounds their old Federal Model 2 for structure fires. It's not against any laws, usually fire calls are brief sound offs, whereas during severe weather it would be more prolonged or multiple sounds offs.
Proud owner of a 1998 ASC RM-130, 1977 3T22A, 1989 Model 2, a couple of SiraTrols, and a two hundred pound vintage cash register.

Proud CB radio "operator"

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”