Robert Gift

2t22 on TV!!!

Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:55 pm

As I am entering a new siren aerial view in "Some Colorado Sirens" post, I am scanning through Comcast cable TV channels.
A 2t22 was on for a few seconds but with other sirens' single tones.
An aerial nuclear detonation creates an EMP which stops engines and causes the sirens to too quickly descend to silence.

But we hear the detonation at the same time we see it. If we heard anything, it would be minutes after detonation.
I think silence would have been much more dramatic.

In one scene, the flag is blowing right, as nuclear wind is blowing everything left.

Comcast Cable TV here in Denver has removed the TV schedule listings channel (was 99). So I called the dolts. (Had to press #1 for English!!) The woman told me the movie title is THE DAY AFTER.

How incredibly stupid that Comcast would remove their listing channel. They can't assign just ONE single channel to TV schedule listings?
Last edited by Robert Gift on Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:02 pm

The Day After featured two shots of 2T22's with true recordings. It is the most watched TV movie in history.

EL1998P71

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:19 pm

I have that on DVD.
A movie buff friend of mine said it was "out of print" untill a few years ago.
A great movie to watch.

Here's what info I found on-line about the DVD

The Day After (1983)

Starring: Jason Robards, JoBeth Williams Director: Nicholas Meyer Rating

Product Details

Actors: Jason Robards, JoBeth Williams, Steve Guttenberg, John Cullum, John Lithgow
Directors: Nicholas Meyer
Format: Color, DVD-Video, Full Screen, NTSC
Language: English
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1
Number of discs: 1
Rating
Studio: MGM (Video & DVD)
DVD Release Date: May 18, 2004
Run Time: 127 minutes

Robert Gift

Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:44 pm

Thanks, EL (Ann Arbor?)

What is the purpose of this Region nonsense?

I like DVDs because one can advance frame by frame and often zoom in
on details.
I recall this movie was made in the 1980s. My girlfriend and I were interviewed on TV about it.
The only impressive thing was the EMP. (Except hearing it simultaneously.)
Imagine driving home to loved ones and being stranded miles from home with no alternate transportation available?
Would diesel engines still operate?

EL1998P71

Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:36 pm

Robert Gift wrote:Thanks, EL (Ann Arbor?)
I've never considered Ann Arbor to part of Southeastern Mich. But more as South Central Michigan.

StonedChipmunk

Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:47 am

*off-topic pre-post warning*

I also thought I had lost the TV listings channel, which was 2 in my area (San Diego - Time Warner). Ironically, it switched to 99 (but they didn't bother listing it in the channel listings they sent out a month beforehand, and they had no channel 99 before). I recommend checking for new channels by using your TV's automatic channel search function (or something to that extent). It's gotta be there.

And I don't think any engines would still operate if they use any form of electricity...
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:48 am

Robert Gift wrote:Thanks, EL (Ann Arbor?)

What is the purpose of this Region nonsense?

I like DVDs because one can advance frame by frame and often zoom in
on details.
I recall this movie was made in the 1980s. My girlfriend and I were interviewed on TV about it.
The only impressive thing was the EMP. (Except hearing it simultaneously.)
Imagine driving home to loved ones and being stranded miles from home with no alternate transportation available?
Would diesel engines still operate?
DVD regions are just another way organizations like the MPAA can control the sale and profit$ of movie releases. These are easily overcome with home computers, but in order for a DVD player to be compliant (including the use of the "DVD" logo) it has to follow the region scheme.

As far as diesel engines operating under EMP...nope. Any modern day engine is wired to a computer for all sorts of essential functions (e.g., fuel injection).

Mr. Machine

Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:47 am

The Day After is one of my favorites... they say the scariest monsters are the real ones, and during that time this movie was quite the horror without being intended as a scare-show. Watch the movie, and consider yourself in that reality... the anxiety of the news reports, the uncertainty (will it happen? will it not happen?), the panic in the grocery stores, the crowded roads out of town, the MinuteMan Missles streaking across the sky... sobering, to say the least. Think about yourself being in the middle of all that.

However, it being a television movie, you have to take it with a grain of salt. The idea was awareness, not necessarily authenticity. The 2T22 comically grinds to a halt when the blast hits, but we know without power it would just coast down. The special effects were advanced for early '80s TV, but of course they're exactly that..... effects. At least they got the signal correct; in the final minutes before the first bomb, the sirens are sounding Attack..... which is certainly appropriate :-)

By the way I picked up my copy on DVD from Best Buy; that's one store it ought to be available in.

Justin

Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:54 am

JasonC wrote:EMP...nope. Any modern day engine is wired to a computer for all sorts of essential functions (e.g., fuel injection).
It's frightening to think that if any madman detonated an EMP device 400km above the Earth, it would take out at least 90% of the US infrastructure (for size comparison (assuming worst case scenario) and assuming the detonation was in Northern Central US).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EMP_mechanism.GIF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Fighter aircraft, Military installations, Communications, Medical Equipment, Vehicles, Nuclear weapons: all dead from one short - powerful pulse.

Boy would one be royally screwed then.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”