Alasiren1977

Oviedo, Fl finally got to use their 2001-130's

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:34 pm

This city got to use their 8 new 2001-130's that were installed in September, but the ironic thing the sirens worked like clock work, but the weather radios never went off. Sounds like the shoe is on the other foot now! Click on the video marked "warning the public".

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2007 ... _test.html

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: Oviedo, Fl finally got to use their 2001-130's

Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:56 pm

I'm glad to hear that all the sirens worked. We've had problems with the weather radio system here in Louisville in the past. All warnings are now done by computers, and that can lead to problems. The weather radios here have only missed one tornado warning for the Louisville area that I can remember, and that was all the way back in 1990. The failure occurred because something knocked the weather radio station off the air for about five minutes. The sirens, along with the TV, gave us plenty of warning though.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Alasiren1977

Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:13 am

Ya we had the same thing happen here in Birmingham during a tornado watch and warning the weather radio never went off, but the sirens sure did, but they are infamous for saying the sirens are unreliable.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:08 am

Back in the 1990 storm, the Thunderbolt near Mom and Dad's house had a broken rotator, but we still heard it, because our windows were open. I think we probably would have heard it if our windows were closed, because it was only about a quarter of a mile away. In fact, there were two other tornado warnings the following week, and we could hear that siren, even with the windows closed, and the siren constantly pointed away from us. I'm glad I was living close to a siren during that first storm.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Alasiren1977

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:45 am

Maybe this will prove to the rest of Florida that Tornado sirens are not such a bad idea.

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:22 am

Off the subject a bit, but I liked Federal Signals little control status monitor. Shows which ones are activated and which ones are off.

Glad to see that the sirens actually got the job done while Noaa Weather Radio was silent. :)
--bc

Alasiren1977

Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Ya the computer screen and icons seem easier to read than the American signal version.

I would love to keep this video for anyone who keeps saying the weather radio is the end all, be all to warning people in storms. This exact same thing happened here and I complained about it to the National Weather Service and they said it was my equipment. Yeah right, about 10 other family, friends, and neighbors said theirs didn't go off either and then they change their story and said they had a problem with a transmitter. So whats the lesson of this story? Weather Radios and Sirens are not perfect but having both is a good idea in case one does fail.

Return to “Videos and Media”