eaglecomm

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:04 pm

Emporia has 2 Allertors that I know of-the one right off the turnpike (next to the baseball fields), the other is located I-35 & S. Weaver (east side of town) across from some convenience store.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:06 am

If you're looking for 1000T's in Kansas, Wichita has a bunch of them stil in service.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

red04stanggt

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:47 am

eaglecomm wrote:Emporia has 2 Allertors that I know of-the one right off the turnpike (next to the baseball fields), the other is located I-35 & S. Weaver (east side of town) across from some convenience store.
Yea I have seen about 5 allertors in Emporia at work. I heard one this last summer for the 1st time in person. They sound totally different to me in person than in a video on the computer

red04stanggt

Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:52 am

md5 wrote:
eaglecomm wrote:Only 1000T I know of in JOCO is the one located in Westwood at the City Park (off Rainbow Blvd). I remember seeing it a few years ago, however, they very well could have replaced it by now.

Liberty, MO also has a few 1000T's as well as Emporia, KS (think they have 2-rest are Allertor's and 2001's)
Emporia KS has one of their Allertor's near the kansas turnpike. If i remember right, the coloring was a really faded light yellow.

When i get the chance to later on in the coming weeks, I'll drive up by Westwood at the city park area. :)
red04stanggt wrote:
md5 wrote:Back before olathe replaced the siren over on 151st st by olathe south high school, that use to be a 1000T. However, in 2005 or so is when it was replaced with a 2001. :(
really? Do you konw of any others that are remotely close to JOCO?
Not that I know of now. :(
Dude let me know when you go check out and see if that 1000T still exists. I want to go too. Also there is another bolt I have been curious about its at Shawnee mission parkway and just before lamar about a 1/4 mile west of lamar and parkway. It sits by those big business buildings. Is that just a T-1000 also?

eaglecomm

Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:29 am

The T-bolt at SM Parkway and Lamar is just a plain ol' 1000. I've sat on that one before, sounds OK when they activate it, but not quite as good as some of the others. Last I heard OPKS plans to replace it next year with a 2001-130 (go figure).

ver tum

Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 pm

This recording here shows how colder weather can prevent higher frequencies from traveling as far.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/2/3/1 ... -14-06.mp3

This was recorded on the same tape recorder as the first two recordings I posted of this Thunderbolt, and it was recorded at Mom and Dad's house. Notice how even though it's still loud, it sounds like it's at least a mile away. This was recorded on February 14, 2006, and it was the first recording I ever got of this Thunderbolt, after it replaced the sick Trunnel Thunderbolt. Church bells can be heard in the background.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

kanazo

Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:49 am

ver tum wrote:This recording here shows how colder weather can prevent higher frequencies from traveling as far.
since the speed of sound is slower in lower temperature, it would take more time to reach the same spot than in warmer temperature, which means that more energy had dissipated into surrounding air when the sound energy reaches the listener.
Greater Vancouver, 0 active sirens...

ver tum

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:01 am

kanazo wrote:since the speed of sound is slower in lower temperature, it would take more time to reach the same spot than in warmer temperature, which means that more energy had dissipated into surrounding air when the sound energy reaches the listener.

I didn't know that colder temperatures slowed down the spead of sound, but that makes perfect sense.

I finally have a picture of this siren!

If this picture is too small, please let me know, because I have a much bigger version. Thanks again to my Uncle Dave for driving by Doss Highschool today to get this picture.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

SirenMadness

Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:15 am

Actually, the more dense the gas, the better the propagation of sound generally is, because there is more transfer of energy. I think that colder temperatures would be better for low-pitch waves, as it would allow for better travel, but warmer air would be better for high-pitch waves, as they wouldn't pose a great resistance then and so would not be as easily "absorbed."
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Videos and Media”