ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Vintage weather radio with alert

Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:41 pm

My mom and dad used to have a Realistic weather radio with alert, model 12-157. It had a really cool sounding siren alert. I have a recording of this somewhere, if anyone is interested in hearing it. The radio mysteriously disappeared, and I'm looking for one like it, but I haven't been able to find one. If anyone has one of these, and they'd like to get rid of it, please PM me. The radio had a wood grain color, and it had a long push bar for listening to the radio, or turning off the alert siren. This was one of the first weather radios that were made with an alert. This radio was one of the great memories from my childhood.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

AllSafe

Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:35 am

I have an old Midland weather radio (ok it isn't really too old) which works quite the same way. It has jacks for an external alarm as well as an antenna.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Spotter/Chaser

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:00 am

My mother still has two of those in her house, in addition to a couple of SAME equipped radios.

ver tum

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:11 pm

Spotter/Chaser wrote:My mother still has two of those in her house, in addition to a couple of SAME equipped radios.

Do you think she might be willing to let one of them go? I've been looking for this particular model for years! I could even give her my black one if she needs it. The siren on it sounds a little different, but she probably won't care about that.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

scooterbugs25

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:44 pm

ver tum wrote:
Spotter/Chaser wrote:My mother still has two of those in her house, in addition to a couple of SAME equipped radios.

Do you think she might be willing to let one of them go? I've been looking for this particular model for years! I could even give her my black one if she needs it. The siren on it sounds a little different, but she probably won't care about that.
You can always find these on Ebay..

ver tum

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:49 pm

This particular model is extremely hard to find these days. I have never seen one on EBay, and I've watched closely for one. Even the black one I have is extremely rare, because I've only seen one of those on EBay, and it's the one I have now.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

500AT

Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:45 pm

Do you have a photo of this particular radio?

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

ver tum

Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:51 pm

500AT wrote:Do you have a photo of this particular radio?
I don't have a photo right now, but I can get a photo of the black one I have within the next fiew days. That will give you all an idea of what type of radio I'm looking for.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Spotter/Chaser

Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:54 am

ver tum wrote:

Actually, neither of them is in great condition. She is just keeping them until they totally konk out. I might donate them to someone who needs one but cannot afford one.

lilblu

Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:08 am

I recently acquired the 12-157, but I'm not willing to part with it. You will never guess where it was found. My father found it in a dumpster, of all places.

It's a little rusty here and there, but it looks and works great. The siren on it is loud though, it scared me half to death when it went off. I wish it had a battery backup, then it would be perfect.

If I happen to find another one, I'll let you know.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”