CoolBalla15
YouTube Username: Brandon714

Thunderbolt 1000T

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:18 am

Did any of you guys see this video of the Thunderbolt 1000T? http://youtube.com/watch?v=1G04AKyvp1I

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:37 am

Yeah, that video was stolen from Eric Green's Civil Defense Museum site. It's the South Thunderbolt in Moss Lake, TX he installed.

Oh, and the reason for the blower starting first, then the chopper and rotator is due to them using a static phase converter to achieve three-phase power, and it only had the capacity to start one motor at a time.
-Ian M.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: Thunderbolt 1000T

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:41 pm

I don't know why many people on YouTube want to steal Eric's audio and video recordings. It's becoming an epidemic. The same guy who stole this video also stole Eric's Mini-Thunderbolt video. For users who are not familiar with the Mini-Thunderbolt, Eric made a mini-thunderbolt model himself, and even put a blower and capacitors in it, and made a great video, and this guy just stole it from him, and claimed it as his own. :evil:

I do have to admit though, that that is a great sounding 1000T, and I think it's set to chopper level 2. It sounds exactly like the tan Thunderbolt at PRP VFD #1by Dixie Manor here in Louisville. It's a shame that this is a plagerized video.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

CoolBalla15
YouTube Username: Brandon714

Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm

ver tum wrote:I don't know why many people on YouTube want to steal Eric's audio and video recordings. It's becoming an epidemic. The same guy who stole this video also stole Eric's Mini-Thunderbolt video. For users who are not familiar with the Mini-Thunderbolt, Eric made a mini-thunderbolt model himself, and even put a blower and capacitors in it, and made a great video, and this guy just stole it from him, and claimed it as his own. :evil:

I do have to admit though, that that is a great sounding 1000T, and I think it's set to chopper level 2. It sounds exactly like the tan Thunderbolt at PRP VFD #1by Dixie Manor here in Louisville. It's a shame that this is a plagerized video.
I'd have to admit. That 1000T does sound a little low-pitched. I like it, though.

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:04 pm

CoolBalla15 wrote:I'd have to admit. That 1000T does sound a little low-pitched. I like it, though.
Yeah, it really does sound low-pitched. I also noticed that the voltage being fed to it may have been a tad low, due to the slow start up and all, but then again it could just be that phase converter making it sound that way due to it possibly being overloaded during startup.
-Ian M.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:11 pm

I believe that a level 2 Thunderbolt 1000T is supposed to sound just like that. Eric has another recording of one in Alan, TX, which is the same pitch.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:56 am

I can't remember what I set the chopper tap on. I set the Valley View tap at 4 I think. I probably set that 1st Moss Lake T-bolt tap on 3 or 4. The thing really doesn't run right on that phase convertor.

The phase convertor was really freaky when we hooked that thing up.
If we turned on the rotator motor first without turning anything else on the voltage to the rotator motor would be 440. If the blower starts first the voltage to the rotator is normal. The thing can't be started normally with the phase convertor that's on it. It was some homemade job that some guy who lives around there built. The blower has to be started 1st then the chopper has to be turned on right away to relieve the load on the blower then the rotator has to be turned on last. The blower is just to much load for a static convertor. I even took some of the weights off of the relief valve to let it pop up a little on start-up to reduce the load on the blower in case the chopper is closed on start-up. I hope I can eventually find a single phase blower for them.

Return to “Videos and Media”