pyramid head

Newer STH-10

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:57 am

I have recorded, and filmed a STH-10. The siren seems to have an odd shaped motor, so I want to say it is newer. Not to mention this is the siren that replced my Model 5.
sth-10.mp3 - 1.97MB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y939peCXSjA
I do not know when videos on youtube start working, so you may have to wait a bit.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: Newer STH-10

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:31 am

Wow! That STH-10 really sounds underpowered!

YouTube is undergoing it's much too frequent scheduled site maintanence right now, so I couldn't post a comment there. It will probably be tomorrow before they are back up and running right. :x
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:32 am

ver tum wrote:Wow! That STH-10 really sounds underpowered!

YouTube is undergoing it's much too frequent scheduled site maintanence right now, so I couldn't post a comment there. It will probably be tomorrow before they are back up and running right. :x
The later models had a 7 1/2 horsepower motor, so the windup sounds like a dying calf in a hailstorm.

I guess it doesn't matter how long it takes it to get there, just as long as it makes noise.

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:10 am

This one is not getting to the full 3450 RPM's though. It sounds like it peaks at around 3000 RPM's. It sounds pretty sick.
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Rheems1

Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:46 am

Hmm, that isn't bad sounding... I am pretty sure it is reaching it's peak.... it cuts off right after it peaks... but it is getting there. It is a little bit slower on the wind up but it isn't out of range for a normal STH-10... 99% of the STH-10's you see and hear have the 7 1/2 hp motor. The only real way to tell a 7 1/2 from a 10 is to look at the motor... the 10hp motor is a little bit bigger but it has a cap on it. Here are two pictures for comparision:

7.5HP

10HP

As a side note, Kyle made this video a really good way... he was a distance from the siren... siren's sound good when you are right on top of them... but when you are a 1/4 mile away.. you get the full ambience and sound. Good video Kyle!

3t22
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:47 am

Awesome video. Very crisp spund. As soon as Youtube gets done with yet another maintance session :roll: I'm saving it in my favorites. Sounds like it's a single phase STH. I've heard and seen plenty of both the 7.5 and 10 HP and in my experences the 10 HP running on 3 phase reach up to 640hz and wind up more slowly, while the 7.5 HP on 3 phase reach 675hz and tend to wind up a bit faster. Here's 2 examples

10 HP (missed the wind up a bit, excuse the dogs barking and howling in the background, recorded from 2 blocks away) http://media.putfile.com/Enfield-North- ... -fire-call

7.5 HP (you may have to turn your volume up a bit recorded from 6 miles away) http://media.putfile.com/BroadbrookSTH-10Redpoles

pyramid head

Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:51 pm

The siren should be right behind the tree you can see in the video, and the siren did not seem all that loud to me. I was parked at a Church a little down the road, and I just had the MP3 player and camera setup on my car roof. We know one of the volunteers in that Department, and he claims that he can't hear that siren like he could hear mine when they had it in the same location...I wonder if they have it set too low on the pole, or if it is just the slightly higher freq. that makes it harder for him to hear. (640 Hz VS 675Hz)
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Archon

Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:47 am

It is odd shaped because it is a single phase motor.

Modulator Master

Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:03 pm

I can give an example here too, the most of the STH-10 sirens here use the 10 hp motors, but the Oakland/Stoneycreek uses the 7? motor.
The one in Cover Hill^ The one in Oakland.V
Monitoring Cambria and Somerset Counties.
http://s821.photobucket.com/albums/zz13 ... n_archive/

Return to “Videos and Media”