jkvernon

New Sirens in Greensburg?

Tue May 06, 2008 2:45 am

With the rebuilding of Greensburg, Kansas, I would imagine that the town is installing a new siren(s). From what I've heard, the town is supposed to become somewhat of a model community for environmental cleanliness using "green" materials in rebuilding as well as using windmills and solar panel arrays to generate the community's electricity.

What I was wondering is if the new siren or sirens installed follow this green trend. Electronic sirens don't require nearly as much power as mechanical sirens so I figured maybe Greensburg went with electronic sirens. The town did seem to be pretty reliant on Sentry Siren though so I figured it was possible that Greensburg went with them, possibly with solar collectors to charge the batteries.

So does anyone know what exactly Greensburg went with as far as a new siren system? (Personally, I'm hoping Sentries with solar battery backup)

kswx29

Tue May 06, 2008 3:06 am

From what i have seen and heard on the news, there are no sirens currently in Greensburg. If you take a look, there isn't even that many homes in Greensburg. I know that there is some sort of a mobile home park full of trailers for residents whose homes were destroyed...i would think there would be a siren there but i am not sure.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

Brendan Ahern

Tue May 06, 2008 5:15 am

I watched a show about greensburg on either the history channel or the discovery channel the other day. They were showing how they were going to make it into a green community. They showed an old refinery or something that they were planning on turning into a power plant of some sort. Behind it was a 2001-130

Fletch

Tue May 06, 2008 6:13 pm

I wonder if one of the major siren manufacturers would donate a siren?

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed May 07, 2008 4:12 am

Fletch wrote:I wonder if one of the major siren manufacturers would donate a siren?
Was hoping that sentry would at least replace a siren or two in that town. :)
--bc

djscrizzle

Wed May 07, 2008 4:27 am

md5 wrote:
Fletch wrote:I wonder if one of the major siren manufacturers would donate a siren?
Was hoping that sentry would at least replace a siren or two in that town. :)

I would hope Sentry at least makes a (lower than) list price offer since they used to have Sentry Sirens in that town...

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed May 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Brendan Ahern wrote:I watched a show about greensburg on either the history channel or the discovery channel the other day. They were showing how they were going to make it into a green community. They showed an old refinery or something that they were planning on turning into a power plant of some sort. Behind it was a 2001-130
Might have been a Sentry Defender.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed May 07, 2008 2:55 pm

I believe Adam Pollak is taking a road trip down there today, and he hopes to swing by Greensburg, so hopefully we'll know for sure soon.

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed May 07, 2008 3:10 pm

JasonC wrote:I believe Adam Pollak is taking a road trip down there today, and he hopes to swing by Greensburg, so hopefully we'll know for sure soon.
Good deal, would love to know what they got to replace the old system with. :
--bc

MIKEY

Greenburg

Thu May 08, 2008 4:19 am

Did'nt Greenburg also have a thunderbolt 1003 ? I had watched a storm chase video that went through Greenburg and thought there was a t-bolt sounding along with the sentry's.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”