ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Found another recording of the sick Trunnel Thunderbolt...

Fri May 09, 2008 3:01 pm

I found this recording I made of the sickly Thunderbolt 1000T that used to be at Birtha Trunnel Elementary School. This recording was made at Mom and Dad's house on August 10, 1999. Since the recording is in mono, I went on ahead and just posted it on YouTube, and little to no sound quality was lost. Since the tape recorder was in a front window this time, instead of in the back yard, some other Thunderbolts, and a 2001 can also be heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTrb8rZJIwg
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Fri May 09, 2008 3:12 pm

Excellent recording, Josh! Has the Trunnel Thunderbolt been repaired or replaced yet?
-Ian M.

ver tum

Fri May 09, 2008 3:23 pm

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote:Excellent recording, Josh! Has the Trunnel Thunderbolt been repaired or replaced yet?
Yes, It was swapped out with another Thunderbolt 1000T in late 2005, and the replacement siren was moved to Doss Highschool. The replacement siren happens to be the one in my avatar. I don't know what ever became of the Trunnel Thunderbolt, and I don't know if I'll ever find out either. I can't seem to get very good information from some people at Emergency Management. If I find out that the Trunnel Thunderbolt has been repaired, and put up somewhere else in the city, I'll definitely try to get a recording of it.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

thunderbolt69

Sun May 11, 2008 11:09 pm

Man that sounds sick. I wonder what happened to the siren. My guess is that it would have been scrapped.

ver tum

Mon May 12, 2008 12:16 am

thunderbolt69 wrote:Man that sounds sick. I wonder what happened to the siren. My guess is that it would have been scrapped.

The good thing about the EMA here in Louisville, is that they usually don't scrap any Thunderbolts if they have any salvageable parts, or if the siren can be repaired. They cannibalize them, rather than scrap them. It's the best way to save money, and still have a working siren system.

That siren is probably either sitting where ever the city keeps it's siren parts, or all or part of it is in active service somewhere else in the city. I'll try sending an email to someone else at Emergency Management this week, to see if anyone has any information on this siren.
Josh
Audio
YouTube

Return to “Videos and Media”