Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:29 am

Longmont has 3 of these units. (That I've counted)
-The Princess

Rheems1

Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:30 pm

You know, looking at that thing... that rear horn bracket is ACA all the way. The rotating Alertonic series use this horn bracket/speaker driver holder, never seen a Whelen with that design... but I have never seen a 3016 or the 4008.

Dave

Mister_Penetrator

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:30 pm

I have never seen this kind of siren before :shock: . And no offense, but that siren looks to have been set up as unfinished. Regardless of whether or not that it was designed to be that way, I would feel much more comfortable if there was exterior plating on the top,bottom, and sides of that siren head.

Travis
YouTube Username: DL1011

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:22 pm

Mister_Penetrator wrote:I have never seen this kind of siren before :shock: . And no offense, but that siren looks to have been set up as unfinished. Regardless of whether or not that it was designed to be that way, I would feel much more comfortable if there was exterior plating on the top,bottom, and sides of that siren head.
One does not "paint" fibreglass. It is impregnated with color, which is why you see all of the yellow ACA and whelen sirens fade after a few years.
-The Princess

Rory Buszka

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:30 am

Actually, the exterior coating of the Whelen sirens is a material called Gel-Coat. It is the same exterior coating that is used on the Community R-Series weather-resistant horn-loaded loudspeakers. Basically, it is the resin component of the fiberglass, mixed with pigment. It is not paint per se, but the concept is similar. Unfinished fiberglass leaves the fibers visible through the resin. At least, such is the case with this particular method of forming the fiberglass. Gel-Coat can be polished to a high gloss, as can be seen with the Community WET series, as well as all the fiberglass horns used in Community loudspeakers.
Say NO to excessive siren testing - overtesting desensitizes the public.
Say NO to voice siren systems - multiple origins = unintelligible audio.

loudmouth

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:03 pm

just for thouse who never seen a 4008 here you gohttp://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/ ... 0_0938.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/ ... 0_0940.jpg

i will get some pics of 3016 today since there every were up here

Rheems1

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:19 am

Well guys, I have your answer as to what this is. I was up in Luzerne County, which is near the Susquehanna Steam Power Plant (nuclear). They used to have a T-bolt system, the T-bolt system is still up.. but there is one of these next to them. Control box was marked.... you aren't going to believe this.. but that is an ATI. Saw it on several different boxes at different locations.

Rory Buszka

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:28 am

So now they're trying to compete with Whelens in their rotating product line. The ATI siren, however, only has four speaker drivers. I wonder if those are the 100W ones that they have been using or whether they have found someone to make a knockoff of Whelen's drivers that could handle 400 watts.
Say NO to excessive siren testing - overtesting desensitizes the public.
Say NO to voice siren systems - multiple origins = unintelligible audio.

EOWS 612

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:43 pm

That's one of those rotating ATI sirens. I saw one on another post on this board.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:50 pm

EOWS 612 wrote:That's one of those rotating ATI sirens. I saw one on another post on this board.
Please stop bringing up dead posts unless you have something of merit to add.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”