Matt Hackler
YouTube Username: Matt Hackler

Muncie IN, siren map

Fri Aug 04, 2006 1:56 am

Hey all,

I went and visited the EMA office here in Delaware County today, and I learned a lot about the sirens here in Muncie. I've lived here in Muncie for about a month and had spotted about 6 of the sirens. The city has 22 sirens, and you can also see 6 other sirens in the surrounding area's of the city. I plan on doing another map of the entire county which will include another 4 or 5 sirens. I knocked this out when I got home from the EMA office earlier today. It's kind of grainy after saving it as a jpeg, but you get the idea. I live at the royal blue square in the middle of the map, I can here 4 sirens really good, and sometimes even the one in downtown. Well I just thought I'd put this out there. By the way the orange shaded area is Ball State University.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/2 ... .jpg&s=f10
"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

quiksmith10

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:30 am

Great map there Matt. Seeing that you labeled the map Delaware County, are there more sirens in Delaware County besides being in Muncie? If so, are they all controled via the EMA office in Muncie?
Brandon Smith

kswx29

Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:38 am

Great Map!! As you know i have a huge siren map archive going on...could you send me the locations and models to my email? Thanks!
[email protected]

Matt Hackler

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:59 pm

The sirens that belong to the city of Muncie are all operated by the County. The City buys the siren and hardware and the County operates and maintains them. The sirens on the Ball State University campus are owned and operated by the Ball State Police. The County wants them under there control but Ball State won't give it up. Daleville, Cowan, and Albany's sirens are all under County control. Daleville, Cowan, Albany, Gaston, Eaton, Yorktown, and Selma all had fire sirens. They all use pagers now so the sirens were used for tornado warnings. Daleville, Cowan, and Albany were the first towns to have there fire sirens replaced by the County. Now I know where the fire sirens are in Yorktown and Selma which is why I put them on there. They are not considered in the County's inventory because they don't have the communications equipment to be activated by the County. The County calls the Fire Departments during a Warning and instructs them to activate the siren. They don't want to spend the money on the equipment for a siren that will be replaced. It does not make much sense to me, couldn't they just trasfer the equipment over to the new siren when it's installed? Well anyway I believe there to be sirens in Gaston and Eaton but I don't know there locations so I have not put them there. But this is what the map looks like now, if you have anymore questions just ask. Tboltboy I'll try to get that info out to ya in the next few days.

"The Federal Thunderbolt siren is a rotating-beam siren that disperses high-intensity warning signals over a large area." :TBolt:

Matt Hackler

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:36 am

Well This is going to be the most boring siren map ever. Randolph County is one of the most rural area's in Indiana. But this is where I grew up and just moved away from, I had to do a siren map here. And the Model 7t in Union City is what got me started down the road of sirens, so here is Randolph County. Also the Cities operate there own sirens.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”