Robert Gift

Solar AND AC?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:25 am

So, the FS 2001s ARE connected to AC? (AC charging batteries)

That ruins my idealism that they can beasily placed anywhere.

For the most sound output per amp, would it be better to uses electronic sirens?
I know, this is blasphemy, but that is quite a draw from batteries, which would take a long time to charge just from solar cells.

You'llaugh - I heard our 2t22 "speak" for the firstime when I placed a garden hose nozzle next to the lower rotor and gothe water to spin the rotor. Could hear a minor third musical interval.
Next, use the high pressure hose from our brush truck to REALLY spin the
rotor.
Before we do anything else, we must gethe 2t22 to the sewage treatment
power pedestal and connect it's 208V 3-phase to the siren to ensure that
the 2t22 even operates. We'll have to gethe siren up and bolted to it's mounting tripod which I will securely attach to the 4x4' wood platform of my potbellied pig's "hoghouse". Piganini never used it. He prefers the comforts of our house.

Thanks,

Jim_Ferer

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:08 am

I've seen these great demonstrations of solar panels. A panel of about 2 feet by 3 feet was able to run a transistor radio. A solar panel can trickle charge batteries to fight deterioration or keep radio batteries charged.

Elliott

Re: Solar AND AC?

Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:54 pm

robert gift wrote:So, the FS 2001s ARE connected to AC? (AC charging batteries)

That ruins my idealism that they can beasily placed anywhere.

For the most sound output per amp, would it be better to uses electronic sirens?
I know, this is blasphemy, but that is quite a draw from batteries, which would take a long time to charge just from solar cells.

You'llaugh - I heard our 2t22 "speak" for the firstime when I placed a garden hose nozzle next to the lower rotor and gothe water to spin the rotor. Could hear a minor third musical interval.
Next, use the high pressure hose from our brush truck to REALLY spin the
rotor.
Before we do anything else, we must gethe 2t22 to the sewage treatment
power pedestal and connect it's 208V 3-phase to the siren to ensure that
the 2t22 even operates. We'll have to gethe siren up and bolted to it's mounting tripod which I will securely attach to the 4x4' wood platform of my potbellied pig's "hoghouse". Piganini never used it. He prefers the comforts of our house.

Thanks,
For the most part, yes. To my knowledge, I think they usually draw power to run the siren from the AC rectifier (on Federal setups, this is usually the box with the heatsink fins on the outside of the box), but switch to battery if no AC power. I think some other setups are different, like pulling from the batteries each time, and the AC only recharges the batteries. The other option is to connect it to a backup generator, such as an installation at a gov't building rooftop, etc.

As far as electronic vs. electromechanical, depending on the amount of amplification, electronic usually has less power demand, but I still consider electromechanical louder. It is an issue of preference and coverage needed.
Elliott, A.K.A. KD8FOV, and Sirenzrok on Youtube

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”