Franz?

Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:13 am

Well if any of you ChoChoo boys want or need type K signal relays for your train setup let me know. I've got about a ton of the things.

They do make a nice desk lamp.

kanazo

Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:19 am

Photoed these while in Taiwan, first train has two horns separated?
Greater Vancouver, 0 active sirens...

Federal Signal fan

Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:30 am

SirenMadness wrote:
Federal Signal fan wrote: :D Robert, I have the illness for EVERYTHING I look at. Just test me. I'm kidding. But I do love trains<A: My Avatar B: My signure>.
Cool, another train-fan here! I might not have much of an interest in the horns of trains, but, man, do I love to look at trains! :lol:
Wow,
I figured by your avatar your a fan of the CP rail system. Interesting. I didn't know if you were a fan, I asked you a while back about your old GE Dash-9-44CW avatar for CP. I live off a CN mainline, I'm pretty lucky, but not close. Well I got interested in sirens by our tornadoes. I wondered why our siren was caged <T-Beam>, so I looked around. I acually found this site when googling sirens, I clicked on one, and below was this forum. I almost screamed, I found a siren board, so of course I joined, but my lack in siren knowledge was a killer for me. But usally I'm forced to learn stuff.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

SirenMadness

Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:28 pm

Federal Signal fan wrote:
SirenMadness wrote:
Federal Signal fan wrote: :D Robert, I have the illness for EVERYTHING I look at. Just test me. I'm kidding. But I do love trains<A: My Avatar B: My signure>.
Cool, another train-fan here! I might not have much of an interest in the horns of trains, but, man, do I love to look at trains! :lol:
Wow,
I figured by your avatar your a fan of the CP rail system. Interesting. I didn't know if you were a fan, I asked you a while back about your old GE Dash-9-44CW avatar for CP. I live off a CN mainline, I'm pretty lucky, but not close. Well I got interested in sirens by our tornadoes. I wondered why our siren was caged <T-Beam>, so I looked around. I acually found this site when googling sirens, I clicked on one, and below was this forum. I almost screamed, I found a siren board, so of course I joined, but my lack in siren knowledge was a killer for me. But usally I'm forced to learn stuff.
LOL, yeah, I'm a big fan of CP Rail, as well as other railroads, but I, too, have some distance to cover before I can get to my spots! Also, the locomotive in my previous avatar is an AC4400CW; CP never bought DC-traction locomotives from GE. I'm amazed at how many people here share an interest in the weather, sirens and trains at the same time! Not on very many boards I go to do I see a majority of users with three or more common interests!
~ Peter Radanovic

Federal Signal fan

Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:27 am

Dear SirenMadness,
It is hard to tell an AC4400CW apart from a Dash-9 locomotive. Actually, I have many hobbies.
  • Trains
    Model Trains
    Computers/Tech.
    Video Games
    Sirens
    MSTS
    Tornadoes <for all I know about them, yes, it's seprate.>
    Science
Sincerely,
Josh B.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

kanazo

Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:24 am

Any train sim (MS Train Sim, BVE, Densha de go) fans here?
Greater Vancouver, 0 active sirens...

SirenMadness

Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:05 pm

Federal Signal fan wrote:Dear SirenMadness,
It is hard to tell an AC4400CW apart from a Dash-9 locomotive. Actually, I have many hobbies.
  • Trains
    Model Trains
    Computers/Tech.
    Video Games
    Sirens
    MSTS
    Tornadoes <for all I know about them, yes, it's seprate.>
    Science
Sincerely,
Josh B.
Other than a few details, an AC is pretty hard to distinguish from a Dash-9. In fact, an AC is basically a Dash-9, only with AC traction.
~ Peter Radanovic

acoustics101

Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:47 pm

Grumman/Northrup developed an electrohydraulic driven poppet valve
device, known as a HIANG or High Intensity Acoustical Noise Generator
which could modulate a moderate pressure air stream and generate an
iterated shockwave or pulse train at very near the theoretical upper
limit of 194 dB at the throat of a horn. NASA used these to stress test certain spacecraft components during the 1970s.

In addition to HIANGs, modulated air loudspeakers, such as Wyle Laboratory's WAS-3000 are also used. The WAS-3000 operates very much like a voice coil driven diaphone in that instead of driving a cone or dome as in a conventional loudspeaker driver, the voice coil drives a slotted cylinder positioned inside of stationary slots in which compressed air at about 30 PSI flows at a high rate. When audio current flows through the voice coil, the air flow is modulated as audio at up to 30 kW acoustical. That's not amplifier watts, but actual acoustical watts!

The Army Research Lab also uses one of these to drive the giant truck mounted horn of their MOAS (mother of all loudspeakers) to simulate battlefield ordnance sounds during battlefield training. You have to see this thing to believe it!! It's as big as the long flatbed truck that it is mounted on!

SirenMadness wrote:The Diaphone is basically a siren with a reciprocating chopper, and a diaphragm as the "motor." Speaking of Diaphones, does anyone remember that monster they used on rocket-launching sites to test for large acoustic effects?
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

acoustics101

Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:13 pm

http://www.hornwhistleboard.com/viewtop ... +lab#p1987

Since I do not know how to post a jpeg image on this board and can no longer find the original link, here is a discussion we had a while back on the Horn & Whistle Board about these devices. Note the size of that horn![/img]
The most overlooked opportunities are in the learning of and improvement in old technologies.

Richard Weisenberger

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”