Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Interesting experience in Wilburton, OK (Soundmaster pics)

Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:46 am

I've been in Texas for the most part of the week. We're on our way home and stopped through Wilburton, OK to see the Soundmasters. Quite an unusual story.

First off, it was a pain in the arse to find it. Wilburton has their sirens pretty well-hidden. To the best of my knowlege, they have/had 2 Soundmasters. I only found 1. I DID see an STH-10 in the town. Maybe that replaced the other Soundmaster? Anyways, the Soundmaster was ontop of a fairly large, tree-covered hill. I barely spotted it. So we were able to find a very small, gravel road that went up the hill. Low and behold, the Soundmaster. As soon as I got out of the car to snap some pics, I hear some cat sound, a cross between a meow and a cry. A very small kitten comes out from the brush, running towards me, meowing. At first I laughed, because it seemed like it was jumping out to guard the siren. I thought it would've stopped, but it kept coming at me. I jump into the car and shut the door. My dad got out of the car, not seeing the cat, and the cat chased him half way down the street! Very small kitten, not very fast, but fast enough that you have to run. Looked to be no more than 3 months old. So my dad is able to get back to the car, but now, the cat is sitting directly UNDER the car. We threw a small piece of pretzel to try to get the cat away from the car. It comes out, and sits right next to the car, looking up at me, meowing. When we left, the cat chased our car about 50 feet down the road. It was very cute, and I noticed that it was running kind of funny, so it probably has deformities. It seems that Wilburton has a lot of stray cats and dogs about. I should have taken a picture of the cat, but i didn't think about it at the time. I felt really bad just leaving it there, but it was obviously a wild/abandoned cat, and who knows what it could have had in terms of diseases.

So...kind of pathetic that this is the highlight of the trip. Now pics!

I was a little nervous that the pics wouldn't turn out, so I used 2 different cameras.

LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK
LINK

So, I'm in Little Rock right now.

Oldiesmann
YouTube Username: Oldiesmann

Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:09 am

Funny story, and great pictures. That is a really cool-looking siren :)
Michael "Oldiesmann" Eshom
SMF

500 AT fan

Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:25 pm

Nice story about the kitty cat. :P

Nice pics, by the way. The other SoundMaster was probably taken down a while ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they used it's parts to keep this one running. :)

Busgeek71

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 am

I have never even heard of that siren until now! What brand is it?

SirenMadness

Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:54 am

Busgeek71 wrote:I have never even heard of that siren until now! What brand is it?
It's a SoundMaster, made by SoundMaster! :P

Anyways, I'd just like to add that it looks simply menacing from the front!
~ Peter Radanovic

Federal Signal fan

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:37 am

Dear all,
Awe, it's very sad to hear about the cat. But our family is mostly allergic to them anyway. That Sound Master is very unusual. I've never seen one at all. I'll look for some clips to watch.

Sincerely,
Josh B.
So, apparently, I like Federal Signal...

Federal Signal fan

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:44 am

500 AT fan wrote:Nice story about the kitty cat. :P

Nice pics, by the way. The other Sound Master was probably taken down a while ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they used it's parts to keep this one running. :)
Dear 500AT fan,
I think you may be mistaken,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundMaster
scroll down to look at the surviving sirens. The area has two.

Wilburton, OK (2) - Still in Use, Last two 125's ever made.
~Wikipedia.com
:o :shock:

Sincerely,
Josh B.

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:46 am

Hugged the cat or the siren? :D I touched neither. Had I touched the cat, it most certainly would've bit me.

Federal Signal fan

Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:53 am

Dear Gil,
I meant the siren, due to the fact it's rare. Heck, I hugged a 3T22 just because I saw it in person, that is a very rare siren. Think about recording it during testing, there are NO videos at all about Sound-Masters. I could see the cat biting the siren if it rotated, no doubt you did the right thing hoping in the car. Also for the siren is the one of the last two ones, and the other one in the county is the last one! I love sirens way too much. Trust me, when I'm involved in something I AM.

Sincerely,
Josh B.

uncommonsense

Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:06 am

Federal Signal fan wrote:
500 AT fan wrote:Nice story about the kitty cat. :P

Nice pics, by the way. The other Sound Master was probably taken down a while ago. I wouldn't be surprised if they used it's parts to keep this one running. :)
Dear 500AT fan,
I think you may be mistaken,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoundMaster
scroll down to look at the surviving sirens. The area has two.

Wilburton, OK (2) - Still in Use, Last two 125's ever made.
~Wikipedia.com
:o :shock:

Sincerely,
Josh B.
Wikipedia should NEVER be considered a reliable source for information. Its user written/generated and upkept. If I wanted to, I could change that article to say that Soundmaster was founded by George Washington's second cousin four times removed and have that be posted for all to see and believe. That Soundmaster, as far as I'm concerned, doesn't exist until someone sees it--period (doesn't mean it wasn't there and shouldn't be searching). But never EVER trust something because Wikipedia says it is so.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”