Robert Gift

Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:11 pm

TSMaster5150 wrote:
red04stanggt wrote:ill go take that thing down and make it dissapear
Yeah good luck being able to take down and haul off something that weighs about 1,000 pounds without someone noticing.
I would find out whom to ask, then ask if it is wanted.
If not wanted, I'd wear a safety vest and hard hat and remove it.

500AT

Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:26 pm

EL1998P71 wrote:The fire department told me that the one at the middle school (near downtown) and the modulator at the college are the only ones they have.
Adrian used to have more sirens than that. I can remember a Thunderbolt by the fairgrounds, and others throughout the city. They were all dual-tone CD sirens, but the last time I saw these units was in the early 1970s. In reality, Adrian needs more sirens for better coverage, given the fact that Lenawee County has a reputation for having very destructive tornadoes.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

"When your siren's a failin', chances are it's a Whelen."

r4tbolts

Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:09 am

500AT wrote:
EL1998P71 wrote:The fire department told me that the one at the middle school (near downtown) and the modulator at the college are the only ones they have.
Adrian used to have more sirens than that. I can remember a Thunderbolt by the fairgrounds, and others throughout the city. They were all dual-tone CD sirens, but the last time I saw these units was in the early 1970s. In reality, Adrian needs more sirens for better coverage, given the fact that Lenawee County has a reputation for having very destructive tornadoes.
Must be a city thing with Adrian, Lenawee County was one of the first counties to have a countywide siren syetem in Michigan, Oakland and Genesse were the others. I have seen quite a few older sirens in the westside of the county in places you wouldn't expect to see them. Also have seen newer Whelens and 2001's in some of the smaller villages arond Lenawee County. Milan for as small as it is has three 2001's.

Lenawee and Hillsdale County both have taken warning the public serious since the Palm Sunday tornado. Asking for trouble in Adrian if all they have is one working siren.

500AT

Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:54 am

r4tbolts wrote:
Must be a city thing with Adrian, Lenawee County was one of the first counties to have a countywide siren syetem in Michigan, Oakland and Genesse were the others. I have seen quite a few older sirens in the westside of the county in places you wouldn't expect to see them. Also have seen newer Whelens and 2001's in some of the smaller villages arond Lenawee County. Milan for as small as it is has three 2001's.

Lenawee and Hillsdale County both have taken warning the public serious since the Palm Sunday tornado. Asking for trouble in Adrian if all they have is one working siren.
Lenawee County decided to equip all of their fire/warnings sirens with Plectron radio controls in the late 1960s. This system was again upgraded in the early 1980s. Moreover, that county has always had a wide variety of outdoor warning sirens from various manufacturers, as each community really went after the best deals on sirens in the wake of the 1965 Palm Sunday Tornado Outbreak. Likewise, the neighboring counties of Hillsdale and Monroe also purchased a lot of sirens in the late 1960s.

I was not aware that Milan had three 2001 sirens. I know there is one located on the southwest side of town by the old middle school, and another by the old high school on the north side of town. Where is the third siren located at?

Ironically, Milan did not capitalize on the Palm Sunday Outbreak like other nearby communities did. They had already purchased an SD-10 that was downtown and had two Federal Model 2Ts. The SD-10 replaced an older Federal Model "B" that was under the old water tower.

Another community that needs outdoor warning sirens in Jackson County is Brooklyn. The last I knew, the Columbia Twp. Fire Dept. had two Federal Model 2 sirens that did not work because they froze up from not being used. There was some talk about placing a 2001 in the downtown area, and other one out at the Michigan International Speedway (MIS) several years ago, but I don't know if they followed through or not?

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

r4tbolts

Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:29 am

500AT wrote:
r4tbolts wrote:

Lenawee County decided to equip all of their fire/warnings sirens with Plectron radio controls in the late 1960s. This system was again upgraded in the early 1980s. Moreover, that county has always had a wide variety of outdoor warning sirens from various manufacturers, as each community really went after the best deals on sirens in the wake of the 1965 Palm Sunday Tornado Outbreak. Likewise, the neighboring counties of Hillsdale and Monroe also purchased a lot of sirens in the late 1960s.

I was not aware that Milan had three 2001 sirens. I know there is one located on the southwest side of town by the old middle school, and another by the old high school on the north side of town. Where is the third siren located at?

Ironically, Milan did not capitalize on the Palm Sunday Outbreak like other nearby communities did. They had already purchased an SD-10 that was downtown and had two Federal Model 2Ts. The SD-10 replaced an older Federal Model "B" that was under the old water tower.

Another community that needs outdoor warning sirens in Jackson County is Brooklyn. The last I knew, the Columbia Twp. Fire Dept. had two Federal Model 2 sirens that did not work because they froze up from not being used. There was some talk about placing a 2001 in the downtown area, and other one out at the Michigan International Speedway (MIS) several years ago, but I don't know if they followed through or not?
Thrid Milan 2001 siren is on Allen Rd (southside) by the new subdivisions. I've seen the other two you mentioned (north of downtown by a school and on the west side by a shcool) plus and old siren on the Fire station.

As for Brooklyn last I knew they do not have a siren in the village (I have often wondered why). Columbia Twp outside of the village has 3 2001's. 1 at MIS, another on Hewitt Rd by the H.S (just outside Brooklyn) and a third one on Jefferson Rd near Hayes Rd. which covers Clark Lake. The old sirens must have been taken down. I haven't seen any on the fire stations there in the past couple of years.

Lenawee County also has a couple of sirens on the south side of Whamplers Lake (one on US 12 and the other down by the lake at an Irish Hills Fire Station) which is SE of Brooklyn.

500AT

Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:45 pm

r4tbolts wrote: As for Brooklyn last I knew they do not have a siren in the village (I have often wondered why). Columbia Twp outside of the village has 3 2001's. 1 at MIS, another on Hewitt Rd by the H.S (just outside Brooklyn) and a third one on Jefferson Rd near Hayes Rd. which covers Clark Lake. The old sirens must have been taken down. I haven't seen any on the fire stations there in the past couple of years.

Lenawee County also has a couple of sirens on the south side of Whamplers Lake (one on US 12 and the other down by the lake at an Irish Hills Fire Station) which is SE of Brooklyn.
I was told at one time, there was a siren under the old water tower in the village of Brooklyn. Apparently, it was a horizontal siren, so it may have been either a Federal or a Sterling product. Sadly, sometime in the 1950s or 1960s, the motor on the siren died, and it was never replaced. However, one would think that two close calls from Mother Nature on Palm Sunday and again on April 3, 1974, this would have been wake-up call for Brooklyn to implement a new siren system.

The old Irish Hills Fire Dept., used low-pitch sirens. I believe they had a Sterling H-10 (M-10) siren on their fire station that had two eight port rotors. Likewise, they placed a Federal STL-10 on the south side of Wamplers Lake, on north side of US-12. near Egan Hwy. Conversely, the nearby Onsted Fire Dept. used high-pitch sirens, so not confuse the other dept.

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

r4tbolts

Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:24 pm

500AT wrote:
r4tbolts wrote: As for Brooklyn last I knew they do not have a siren in the village (I have often wondered why). Columbia Twp outside of the village has 3 2001's. 1 at MIS, another on Hewitt Rd by the H.S (just outside Brooklyn) and a third one on Jefferson Rd near Hayes Rd. which covers Clark Lake. The old sirens must have been taken down. I haven't seen any on the fire stations there in the past couple of years.

I was told at one time, there was a siren under the old water tower in the village of Brooklyn. Apparently, it was a horizontal siren, so it may have been either a Federal or a Sterling product. Sadly, sometime in the 1950s or 1960s, the motor on the siren died, and it was never replaced. However, one would think that two close calls from Mother Nature on Palm Sunday and again on April 3, 1974, this would have been wake-up call for Brooklyn to implement a new siren system.

The old Irish Hills Fire Dept., used low-pitch sirens. I believe they had a Sterling H-10 (M-10) siren on their fire station that had two eight port rotors. Likewise, they placed a Federal STL-10 on the south side of Wamplers Lake, on north side of US-12. near Egan Hwy. Conversely, the nearby Onsted Fire Dept. used high-pitch sirens, so not confuse the other dept.
I havent seen a siren in Brooklyn since 1980. I remember the sirens on the fire stations (Columbia Twp.) but they were taken down a long time ago. As far as I know the STL 10 is still at Eagan and US 12 (saw it a couple of years ago) next to the Church. BTW Addison sitll has an STL 10 on US 127. STL 10's was the siren of choice when Lenawee put up sirens after the Palm Sunday tornados.

There used to be a bunch of STL 10's in Lenawee but some have been replaced with 2001's or Whelens. Last time I was down at the Irish Hills station by the lake they had a Model 5 on the station and if my memory is correct it was painted yellow. A couple of years ago I was in Hudson and they had a "bumble bee" black and yellow Thunderbolt downtown. I need to get out and take some pics before these sirens are replcaced. I think Blissfield went to Whelens.

Back to Brooklyn. The area is a goofy place politics wise I could never figure out why no sirens in the village. There are 4 diffiernt political cliques in the area. The Village, Clark Lake, Lake Columbia and everyone else so that might explain the siren coverage.

500AT

Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:29 am

r4tbolts wrote: I havent seen a siren in Brooklyn since 1980. I remember the sirens on the fire stations (Columbia Twp.) but they were taken down a long time ago. As far as I know the STL 10 is still at Eagan and US 12 (saw it a couple of years ago) next to the Church. BTW Addison sitll has an STL 10 on US 127. STL 10's was the siren of choice when Lenawee put up sirens after the Palm Sunday tornados.
Addison has a 12-port STH-10. I have heard it in the background many times when there radio is keyed up. It has a really nice sound to it.
r4tbolts wrote:
There used to be a bunch of STL 10's in Lenawee but some have been replaced with 2001's or Whelens. Last time I was down at the Irish Hills station by the lake they had a Model 5 on the station and if my memory is correct it was painted yellow. A couple of years ago I was in Hudson and they had a "bumble bee" black and yellow Thunderbolt downtown. I need to get out and take some pics before these sirens are replcaced. I think Blissfield went to Whelens.
The last time I was in Blissfield, they had a very old Sterling Siren on top the fire station that was painted red. Hopefully, the fire dept. didn't replace it with a Whelen. However, I can see why they bought new sirens, as the town has grown so much over the past 20 years, they needed to add more.
r4tbolts wrote: Back to Brooklyn. The area is a goofy place politics wise I could never figure out why no sirens in the village. There are 4 diffiernt political cliques in the area. The Village, Clark Lake, Lake Columbia and everyone else so that might explain the siren coverage.
You know, I have noticed this too. There is something about that town that just makes me feel like I am in a Stephen King movie when I am there. It's like everyone has a closet full of skeletons. I just get a strange feeling when I am there.

I can remember at one time when Cement City had their own fire department, they had a Model 7 in the city. I wonder if it's still there?

Sincerely yours,

Ron W.

r4tbolts

Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:13 pm

Cement City I believe sitll has a fire department not sure about the siren though.

cmoore

Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:47 am

r4tbolts wrote:My guess is this siren went up after the Palm Sunday tornado outbreak in the mid-sixties this area isn't too far from fatalities in that incident. Also this siren was in service as recently as the early 80's because the was the time most of the sirens in the county went to radio signal control which are present on the pole. Makes one wonder how soon we will start to see 2001's sitting forgotten on the poles. Sirens are a funny thing when it comes to different communities. Many times they are purchased after a close call then forgotten about a few years down the road till the next close call happens and everyone wants to know why the sirens didn't work. My thought has always been if a community doesn't want to fix it then give it or sell it to a community that will use and take care of it.
I mean. . . That can't be said much better than that! 8)
That is true. Thats exactly wht happened to the sirens in Indy.
Naptown Sirens

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”