cmoore

Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:53 pm

Chatt Town has a building mounted thunderbolt that you can see from the highway when you're coming from Atlanta.
Naptown Sirens

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:40 pm

soccerdude7330 wrote:Here it is! I don't have a clue of the exact model of this Thunderbolt, so it's either a 1000 or 1000T (my guess would be a 1000T). Looks like it has an FC on it, because the RCM1 box is mounted WAY high up and there is no Siratrol mounted anywhere on it. Looks to be a single phase siren, because there were only two hot wires and a ground running to the siren. The blower is also mounted high up, and this siren appears to be still working.

By the way, this siren is located on the LEFT side of the interstate and is ~8 miles north on I-75. It's not really black, it was painted yellow, but the paint is worn. Any ideas from anyone if this siren is tested?

Pictures (click image for larger view):

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hjbJzgCT7g
Charlie, which city is this t-bolt located in? You said it was 8 miles north of Chattanooga, maybe?

slant-40

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:11 am

Looks to be in a town called Ooltewah, TN. Found it with Google Maps. A street view is available.
wayne

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: soccerdude7330Official

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:29 am

slant-40 wrote:Looks to be in a town called Ooltewah, TN. Found it with Google Maps. A street view is available.
You are exactly right!
Charlie Davidson

Storm Chasing? Storm Chasing.
Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

The YouTube Channel is alive again.

Looking for a manual? I probably have it here: SirenManuals.com

CTsirenhunter

Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:56 pm

soccerdude7330 wrote:
slant-40 wrote:Looks to be in a town called Ooltewah, TN. Found it with Google Maps. A street view is available.
You are exactly right!
And here it is!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5882352942
I left this board in early 2010. I am not a part of the siren community in any sense anymore. I will not provide assistance or information.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer

Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:07 pm

CTsirenhunter wrote:
soccerdude7330 wrote:
You are exactly right!
And here it is!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 5882352942
Yep that's the one! I stood there. lol

By the way, the horn is pointed in a different direction when I took pics of it. So it has DEFINITELY went off before.
Charlie Davidson

Proud owner of a fully operational Thunderbolt 1000T warning siren. Test your speakers.

Melvin Potts

Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:15 pm

I pass that building-mounted Tbolt every weekend on the bus run to Wal-Mart/Bi-Lo/The-Mall. I forgot the name of the building. Mary Walkers Tower or something?
It is Mary Walker Towers. I checked that out a few years ago when in Chattanooga.

I first saw that Tbolt back countless times between 1971-89. That's when I lived in the Atlanta area. I'd come back home to Nashville several times a year. While driving through Chattanooga I could see that T bolt atop the building. It's been pointing towards I-24 for many, many years. I don't know when Chattanooga quit using or deactivated the sirens.

StonedChipmunk

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:33 pm

soccerdude7330 wrote:Yep that's the one! I stood there. lol

By the way, the horn is pointed in a different direction when I took pics of it. So it has DEFINITELY went off before.
Melvin Potts wrote:It is Mary Walker Towers. I checked that out a few years ago when in Chattanooga.

I first saw that Tbolt back countless times between 1971-89. That's when I lived in the Atlanta area. I'd come back home to Nashville several times a year. While driving through Chattanooga I could see that T bolt atop the building. It's been pointing towards I-24 for many, many years. I don't know when Chattanooga quit using or deactivated the sirens.
(wow, been a while, can't believe this is still up)

As far as I know, there aren't any systems around Chattanooga that are still running. I know the Chattanooga system stopped testing in the 70's and was discontinued in either the end of the 70's or early 80's.

Also, the siren in the Street View pic doesn't appear to be the "hidden" siren I was talking about, but I am not totally sure. If I recall correctly, the one I saw was discolored similarly, but was generally surrounded by trees. Then again, it's probably part of the same system.

I'd be very surprised if any of these sirens were still in operation. They look as if they're in a pretty deep state of disrepair, plus, there's very little use for them around here.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Charlie Davidson
Developer
Developer

Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:59 pm

StonedChipmunk wrote:I'd be very surprised if any of these sirens were still in operation. They look as if they're in a pretty deep state of disrepair, plus, there's very little use for them around here.
When I went and seen the siren myself, it appeared to still be in service. It was ran by a older style Federal controller and from the Street View picture and my picture, the horn was pointed a different direction. I don't think this Thunderbolt has any part of Chattanooga's system, because there is some kind of facility close by that needs these sirens (my dad said this).

I honestly think it's still in service, but I won't know for sure unless I'm up there on test day (whenever that is).
Charlie Davidson

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”