r4tbolts

Tue May 26, 2009 11:26 pm

In 1982 Jackson Co, MI replaced it's Chrysler with a T-bolt. Also interesting (third hand info) was that the Chrysler's Hemi Engine on this siren was retrofited with an industrial electric motor sometime in the late 60's early 70's. The siren quit working sometime in the late 70's I was told. I never saw this siren with the Hemi engine on it but I do remember the cones and the electric motor on it as early as 1979.

Grapevine at the time the T-bolt went up it was someone bought the Chrysler with the intent of fixing it and placing it up on one of the lakes in Leneawee County MI. This was back in 1982 so it is doubtful anything remains of this siren as active duty but would make one heck of a tornado siren back in the day.

http://blog.mlive.com/citpat_history/20 ... f_col.html

Siren_Dude

Tue May 26, 2009 11:53 pm

Just a random question, but how many original Chrysler sirens are left on buildings in the US? I know theres not to many..

Jack Schroll

Wed May 27, 2009 12:36 am

All five in Oakland are gone. I do know of one in Rochester, New York, but a friend of mine has his sites set on that one.

Jack
oaklandvictorysiren.com

Siren_Dude

Wed May 27, 2009 1:00 am

Jack Schroll wrote:All five in Oakland are gone. I do know of one in Rochester, New York, but a friend of mine has his sites set on that one.

Jack
Where is it located? I would really like to see it before its gone!

Jack Schroll

Wed May 27, 2009 6:14 am

It is in Rochester at a fire station. A friend has been attempting to get them to let it go for almost six years now. They keep making noises about restoring it. Now would be the time I would swoop in and make a move. With a tight economy many cities are "motivated". It took me two years of dealing with the Oakland City Council to give me the siren. At times I think they just wanted me to stop coming to the meetings and pestering them. :)

Jack
oaklandvictorysiren.com

E712

Wed May 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Jack Schroll wrote:It is in Rochester at a fire station. A friend has been attempting to get them to let it go for almost six years now. They keep making noises about restoring it. Now would be the time I would swoop in and make a move. With a tight economy many cities are "motivated". It took me two years of dealing with the Oakland City Council to give me the siren. At times I think they just wanted me to stop coming to the meetings and pestering them. :)

Jack
Is the one in Rochester up by the airport? I was up that way last year looking for it but was unable to find it. :(

Jack Schroll

Wed May 27, 2009 9:47 pm

It's painted red on top of the fire station located on Andrews street
near North St.. Not the best neighborhood.
To my knowledge, it hasn't run in years & years. And yes, we are working on this project.

Jack
oaklandvictorysiren.com

Crazywarriorman
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
YouTube Username: crazywarriorman

Thu May 28, 2009 1:15 am

Ah, that's what I'm doing right now with Kansas City. Suprising fact is, I used to live in that town.
Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

hobbeekid

Sun May 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Jack Schroll wrote:The party boat siren came from the Woodminster Theatre. The school siren in Oakland mysteriously dissappeared a week before I was to remove it for restoration.

Jack

Wow that sucks! did you get any leads on where it might of ended up?if it ended up in any of the area scrapyards, well........

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Re: Chrysler siren locations

Sun May 31, 2009 2:29 pm

Crazywarriorman wrote:Sadly I have 2 chrylser siren locations to remove from the list: The siren atop the Talcott Building in Rockford,IL and the siren atop the Kansas City city hall is gone. There is some good news to this topic though! The Chrysler atop the US Army Records center is still in place.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: If I'd known there were Chryslers in Rockford, I would have gone siren hunting!

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”