Matt
Administrator
Administrator

ACA Hurricane

Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

Well, as promised here the ACA Hurricane video of it arriving and being unloaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1DCkqcF9k

Does anyone know how to wire up the control panel? (if it even is one at all)
videogamer
Matt Ullman

EL1998P71

Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:37 pm

http://www.jeffclifton.com/eric/Hurrica ... Manual.pdf

it may be the same panel in this manual.
Proud Owner of too many sirens, lightbars, civil defense items, and diecast cars

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Re: ACA Hurricane

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:28 am

Any idea how the chopper is wired up? Is it single phase like a Thunderbolt chopper is, even though the blower is 3 phase? I'd love to hear what the chopper sounds like by itself on 240 volts.

Is there any way to get a single phase Thunderbolt blower to supercharge a Hurricane?
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

500 AT fan

Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:36 am

No clue how the chopper is wired up. It is single phase, 2 HP custom Doerr motor frame.
I don't think it'd fit well with a Thunderbolt blower.

Adam Pollak
YouTube Username: CrazySirenBoy

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:06 am

A single-phase Thunderbolt blower will work fine with the Hurricane. There will be a measurable reduction in volume, but probably not noticeable from the level of very loud. You can always use a leaf blower/shop vac to get it making a good deal of noise, but a single-phase T-Bolt blower is definitely going to be your best option to getting it as close as possible to the real thing.
http://youtube.com/CrazySirenBoy
Proud owner of: Thunderbolt 1003, Thunderbolt 1000, STH-10A, Model 5BT, Model 5B, Model 3B, Model 2T (noon daily @ 1/2 voltage), Model 2, Decot, Sterling Little Giant

Daniel

Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:31 am

Congratulations on your new siren. I hope you'll keep us posted on your restoration.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

jerrylovessirens

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:39 pm

I agree with Adam, your Tbolt blower will work like a dandy!

Yes, keep us updated on your progress!!!!

Captain Dynamite
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 am

Videogamer, congratulations on getting your own A.C.A Hurricane. You do not see many of them at ground level. I am looking forward to more videos of it. When you do make more videos of it, would you please make the watermark not as noticable. I found it a little bit hard to watch your video because of it.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Captain Dynamite wrote:Videogamer, congratulations on getting your own A.C.A Hurricane. You do not see many of them at ground level. I am looking forward to more videos of it. When you do make more videos of it, would you please make the watermark not as noticable. I found it a little bit hard to watch your video because of it.
I can try to make it less noticeable just don't want the kiddies making photos out of it without asking. I'll probably making the marking clear.
Hopefully I'm going over to my moms house to work on it today. Todays goal: Fire it up the chopper and check out the blower and the control box.

Also if anyone remember, was this the hurricane that Darien experimented with so every component was wired together to try to lessen the sound?
Sounds like I have a lot of rewiring to do.
Also, a little off topic, but happy pi day! :)
videogamer
Matt Ullman

Thunderboltlover
YouTube Username: thunderboltlover

Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:12 pm

videogamer wrote:
Captain Dynamite wrote:Videogamer, congratulations on getting your own A.C.A Hurricane. You do not see many of them at ground level. I am looking forward to more videos of it. When you do make more videos of it, would you please make the watermark not as noticable. I found it a little bit hard to watch your video because of it.
I can try to make it less noticeable just don't want the kiddies making photos out of it without asking. I'll probably making the marking clear.
Hopefully I'm going over to my moms house to work on it today. Todays goal: Fire it up the chopper and check out the blower and the control box.

Also if anyone remember, was this the hurricane that Darien experimented with so every component was wired together to try to lessen the sound?
Sounds like I have a lot of rewiring to do.
Also, a little off topic, but happy pi day! :)
Looking forward to hearing/seeing it!

Return to “Videos and Media”