MisterTwister55

TMI Sirens to be Tested!

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:39 am

As always, the three mile island system in Central PA will be tested June 24th, 2010 (Thursday) at 12:15 p.m. It's always been the last Thursday of June. They only do one full test a year.

The system contains 96 sirens. Mostly Cyclones and P-10's (both dual toned) and a handful of 2001's. There is one T-121 in Lancaster County.

Last year I recorded the cyclone above and BlackMaxima recorded the P-10 two years ago. This year I will record a P-10 and get a camera set up on a hill near Hershey to record an ambience of Cyclones and P-10's.

In the coming years, ALL of these sirens will be replaced by T-128's. The project is already underway.

Anybody planning on going out (hint: Rheems1)?

I'll be sure to get my recordings on youtube by 1:15 P.M. next Thursday. My account is MisterTwister55.

Rheems1

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:32 am

Twister,

I wish I could be there for that but alas I moved out of the area about 2 years ago and have to work on test day. I used to work at the Jay Group on Zeager Road (Elizabethtown) and we had a P-10 just down from where I worked that I could hear very well. I lived right outside of Elizabethtown and from my house I could hear the Cyclone on Bainbridge Road in front of the Wildwood Swim Club and the 2001 on Bainbridge Road at Bossler Road. It made for a very nice test... and very interesting in the fact that when the 2001 was pointing at me I could hear it over the Cyclone (both were about the same distance away). Where is the T-121 in Lancaster County? I know about the one in York County (in Strinestown) but didn't know we had one in Lancaster County as well. I WILL be sure to watch the video of the test that you make though (I watch most of the videos that you post honestly).

Dave

MisterTwister55

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 am

Well I thought that Strinestown was in Lancaster lol but it isn't.

It's too bad you'll miss this test again. This might just be the last one before the T-128's roll in.

Archon

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:52 am

I am going to try and do a simulated EAS Alert for TMI to show how the 1979 problem would sound today.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”