Joey P 3

Oswego, New York System

Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Im in Oswego and i have spotted 3 thunderbolts in about a mile radius. One is at the campgrounds of the race track, one is by the water dept., and the 3rd is on someones front lawn. Anyone have more info on the sirens, or where the others may be?
Thunderbolts, whelen, 2001, and aca own!

Mantis

Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:52 pm

I've been looking around on Google Maps. I've found a shadow at West 6th and Utica that looks like a Thunderbolt, but there's no street view so I can't tell if it is one or not. Do you think you could create a map in Google showing the locations of the three you found?

E712

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:03 am

I believe that the sirens are part of the 9 Mile Island nuclear power plant system that is right up in that area, not sure of how many there are or where they are located though.
Last edited by E712 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:37 am

Mantis wrote:I've been looking around on Google Maps. I've found a shadow at West 6th and Utica that looks like a Thunderbolt, but there's no street view so I can't tell if it is one or not. Do you think you could create a map in Google showing the locations of the three you found?
I found it on Bing maps and it is indeed a Thunderbolt. Go to the link below and hit birds eye and zoom. You will see it best from North and East and can see the blower best from south.

Bing Map Image
Ian Tate
Facebook

Mantis

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Cool. That's the only Thunderbolt I've found in the city of Oswego, though.

Apparently they're part of the Nine Mile Point nuclear plant system. There are 37 sirens throughout Oswego county. I've found two others in the county that are outside the city but still in the county.

Joey P 3

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:35 pm

I can tell you where 3 of them are...one of them is at the back of Oswego Speedway on the campgrounds. The 2nd is at a firehouse right by the water department, about 1.5 miles from the track. The 3rd, is down the street from a Sunoco station about 1/2 mile from the track on someones front lawn. I have a picture of one of the sirens that I will upload.
Thunderbolts, whelen, 2001, and aca own!

Mantis

Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:11 am

So here are the four sirens I've found, on Bing Maps:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=r7jyk6 ... A274F5!132

I tried to place the markers right above the horns, but Bing is being a nazi and keeps moving them around.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”