holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:17 am

During the removal, if it won't budge, just leave tension on it with the puller and let it sit overnight. Most of the time you can creep off the really stubborn ones.

Also, use grade 8 bolts of the proper size, run a tap down the threads in the rotor to clean them out and use a proper length bolt so you get full thread engagement.

Then, after you remove it check the shaft and the bottom of the rotor for any nick, burrs, or deformation. Check to see if the end of the shaft has been mushroomed. If it has, grab a file and put a slight chamfer all the way around the top edge.

And the biggest piece of advice, if you start getting frustrated, just take a break.

Rick K

Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:39 pm

holler wrote:During the removal, if it won't budge, just leave tension on it with the puller and let it sit overnight. Most of the time you can creep off the really stubborn ones.

Also, use grade 8 bolts of the proper size, run a tap down the threads in the rotor to clean them out and use a proper length bolt so you get full thread engagement.

Then, after you remove it check the shaft and the bottom of the rotor for any nick, burrs, or deformation. Check to see if the end of the shaft has been mushroomed. If it has, grab a file and put a slight chamfer all the way around the top edge.

And the biggest piece of advice, if you start getting frustrated, just take a break.

Thankyou very much for the instructions!! I *think* (not 100% sure yet) that I am going to hold off on pulling the rotor. I don't want to have any worries of it not going back on, and since I don't have to pull it off for any repairs or anything, I might as well leave it on until I find out it needs motor work or something like that.

I assume these instructions are the same for 3T22 rotor removal? If so, I'll be using them soon anyhow. I am getting a 3T22A next Friday!! I guess it needs new motor bearings, so I'll be doing some rotor/stator removal. :D :D :D [/i]

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:53 pm

Yes the procedure is pretty much the same with most other federal signal sirens that have puller holes.

How do your bearings sound? If you are going to change those the rotor has to come off.

Rick K

Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:29 am

holler wrote:Yes the procedure is pretty much the same with most other federal signal sirens that have puller holes.

How do your bearings sound? If you are going to change those the rotor has to come off.
Cool. The bearings in my STH are perfectly silent when spinning! :D

We'll see what the 3T22 is like when I get it though. Are bearings for those readily available? Do I need to bring it to a motor shop to have them changed or is it easy enough for me to do myself?

Siren Man

Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 am

You'll need a bolt puller set to get the rotor off, and a pneumatic impact wrench to get the stator off.
Have: A-4 Vibratone bell, Model 60 klaxon.

Siren Man

Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:41 am

You'll need a bolt puller set to get the rotor off, and a pneumatic impact wrench to get the stator off.
Have: A-4 Vibratone bell, Model 60 klaxon.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”