Mister_Penetrator

Unusual siren testing time in Leavenworth, KS

Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:23 pm

As I speak, the sirens in Leavenworth County Kansas are being tested. They usually stop testing them around September or October. Does any have a clue why they are testing them now in November?

Daniel

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:09 pm

Like many cities, Omaha tests their sirens throughout the year. Since the sirens are used not only for severe weather but also civil defense, it is logical to test them year round rather than only in tornado season. This would be particularly true in an area as militarily important as Leavenworth (if that is where Fort Leavenworth is).
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

kswx29

Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Daniel is right, since they have Fort Leavenworth and use the sirens for a national emergency it would be logical to test them year around..HOWEVER when i spoke with the Leavenworth County EM Director he said they tested only in the spring/summer months...I dont know what to tell you...did they do both Alert and Attack?

AllSafe

Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 am

aren't the sirens around there owned by the army?

Mister_Penetrator

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:03 am

tboltboy wrote:Daniel is right, since they have Fort Leavenworth and use the sirens for a national emergency it would be logical to test them year around..HOWEVER when i spoke with the Leavenworth County EM Director he said they tested only in the spring/summer months...I dont know what to tell you...did they do both Alert and Attack?
Yeah. They tested them in both modes. That was the unusual part. Generally they stop testing them in early fall.

Mister_Penetrator

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:05 am

douro20 wrote:aren't the sirens around there owned by the army?
I don't know. Most likely not. The fort and Leavenworth county run on seperate systems as far as I know.

kswx29

Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:09 am

Hmm, idk if they run on seperate systems...I remeber being on the "post" and seeing a thunderbolt up there...that was it.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”