SirenMadness

Pulse shown to rise.

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:12 am

I have found an article that examines the pulse rate during and after an air-raid warning. The article is quite fun to read, as people do have their hearts beat pretty faster the second that an air-raid siren activates.

Link to article is here.
~ Peter Radanovic

kswx29

Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Well i would imagine it would be becasue they think they are going to die and go into panic mode. When i hear the Tornado Sirens besides on test day...my heart kind of jumps and i want to know whats going on, ya know?

Daniel

Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:45 pm

Also, if the siren is extremely loud, the sphincter muscles can involuntarily release. I'm surprised the study didn't include this.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

enigma1677

Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:43 pm

Ya i used to have a really old lady that lived next door to us when i was a teenager and when our T-bolt go off, she told me she would piss herself everytime, and she would have to take her nitro pills.

SirenEnthusiast360

Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Daniel wrote:Also, if the siren is extremely loud, the sphincter muscles can involuntarily release. I'm surprised the study didn't include this.
that used to happen to me every time the place where I used to go to school had a fire drill.
I can't hear you! *air raid siren sounding* Ok I can hear you now.

Daniel

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:05 pm

Perhaps Lincoln City actually knew what they were doing when they put in this tsunami siren. It would certainly hasten the evacuation process.

Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

SirenMadness

Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:17 pm

For me, having myself acknowledge the fact that an air-raid siren is going to start-up is worse than hearing an air-raid siren without any prior notice of its activation. I think that the tension that builds-up in you causes you to feel worse, as anticipation is sometimes worse than sudden knowledge. That's why me just hearing a fire-alarm is less exciting when I just hear it than when I have the feeling of it activating.
~ Peter Radanovic

birdy

Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:42 am

SirenMadness wrote:For me, having myself acknowledge the fact that an air-raid siren is going to start-up is worse than hearing an air-raid siren without any prior notice of its activation. I think that the tension that builds-up in you causes you to feel worse, as anticipation is sometimes worse than sudden knowledge. That's why me just hearing a fire-alarm is less exciting when I just hear it than when I have the feeling of it activating.
Yep.

I used to sit there during school, obsessing and panic-ing about the impending siren test as a kid. I found the paranoia much worse than the surprise.
-Bird.

hobbeekid

Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:16 am

I guess the thought or anxiety of knowing that the siren has the potential for sounding is bad enough but to be caught within sound range especially on windup& windown is enough to put a chill down my back & the heart racing,especially at night.I have very vivid memories of being traumatized by a certain sterling model M.Plus a 2t22 off in the distance. Even a fire engine siren will get the pulse racing to a certain extent. Why is that? :roll:

SirenMadness

Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 pm

At night, an engine-siren will actually get me up to a more racing pulse. I think that as you lay to bed, your blood pressure drops and you are not as alert, causing what would be a rather small distraction at day, scare you at night more, because you use allot more energy to step up to an alert state when you're less alert in the beginning than when you're more alert in the beginning. At night, I'm bound to be more disturbed by something than at day.
~ Peter Radanovic

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”