murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:59 am

Hacksaw wrote:They still have an SD-10 at the Fire Station in Acworth. I thought they would have replaced that one by now.
You mean the old Cobb FD #11 off of Main Street (on Lakewood I think) in northern Acworth? That one was replaced with a Vortex a little while back, but the SD-10 may still be standing. I haven't been that far north in the county yet to check though, but according to the recently-updated Google Maps satellite view, the SD-10 is still visible behind the station next to the woodline, and there is a Vortex standing on the opposite side of the old building.

http://g.co/maps/mc736

Speaking of that station, here's a neat old picture of it while it was still being used. See if you can spot the object in question... :wink:

Melvin Potts

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:44 am

They still have an SD-10 at the Fire Station in Acworth. I thought they would have replaced that one by now.
Cobb has left some of the old sirens in place after installing new ones. The SD-10 was still at the old FS#11 last fall when I checked the place out.

The old Tbolt at Waste Water Facility between Kennesaw & Acworth, along with the ones at Lost Mountain Park(W. Cobb area) and FS#2 in Marietta were left standing a while after the Whelen sirens were installed.

Melvin Potts

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:49 am

The only county siren that I am unsure of its whereabouts and/or replacement location is #43, which used to be an SD-10 at Mars Hill Church, but it was removed sometime within the last year or so and I can't track down any replacement siren in the area (if there is one
I don't know what happened to the Mars Hill Church siren. Last time I was in that area the road in front of church was being widened; I thought that maybe the siren had been taken down temporarily.

Cobb County did the same with Siren #5(2001 @ Vinings FS) when the new building was under construction; siren was down for a while, then moved to new location behind the Vinings Library(just a couple doors down from FS).

Siren #31(Gresham Rd. Tbolt) was also down temporarily. For many years it was beside or behind the Legion Hall; was moved when some new apartments built adjacent to the Hall. It's now partially hidden by trees.

murrfarms

Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Seeing as this has pretty much turned into a Cobb County thread in general, just thought I'd inform those interested that the Thunderbolt at the American Legion in Marietta has just about bitten the dust. I just finished recording it about an hour ago for the county test today, and the only thing it did was run the chopper; blower and rotator both sat idle. Thinking it may be the Agistat relay that has gone bad, due to the symptoms. Oh and yes, it has been reported to Cobb Co. EMA.

Melvin Potts

Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:57 am

just thought I'd inform those interested that the Thunderbolt at the American Legion in Marietta has just about bitten the dust.
That is an OLD siren. It was there when I moved to Cobb County in 1971; don't know how long prior to that it was installed.

I heard this siren during one of my GA trips many years ago(probably 15 or more). Just happened to be on Cobb Parkway headed S when I heard it fire up for the test. I recognized the sound, so I pulled into a nearby parking lot and watched it rotate as it sounded.

The WPS siren on Winters St. in Marietta replaced a Tbolt which was there in 1971. Maybe the two of them were installed at the same time?

Hacksaw

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:05 am

I had heard that there were 2 Tbolts in Marietta way back when I went though the area in 1979. That was well before they bought the DeKalb & Fulton Co. sirens.

There used to be an ancient SD-10 in front of the Mableton School on Church St., but that died years ago.

murrfarms

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 am

Melvin Potts wrote:That is an OLD siren. It was there when I moved to Cobb County in 1971; don't know how long prior to that it was installed.

I heard this siren during one of my GA trips many years ago(probably 15 or more). Just happened to be on Cobb Parkway headed S when I heard it fire up for the test. I recognized the sound, so I pulled into a nearby parking lot and watched it rotate as it sounded.

The WPS siren on Winters St. in Marietta replaced a Tbolt which was there in 1971. Maybe the two of them were installed at the same time?
Oh yes, it's definitely one of the first Thunderbolts, and appears to have even been retrofitted with that dual toned chopper at some point in its lifetime. It's a Series A1 that has the big size 6M Roots blower on it powered by an old Peerless(?) 7.5hp three phase motor, and the siren also sported the "circle-F" logos at one time, as evidenced by the acid etching on the panels from where the decals once were. Such a shame that something as simple as a burned out time delay relay will probably spell the demise of this old brute.

I had been told that both this and the Winters St Thunderbolts had been purchased at the same time, likely new, by the city of Marietta. The thing I wonder is, does the city itself still own this one and just turn over control of it to the county, or have they given the entire siren itself over to them? If the city, there may be a higher chance of me being able to snag it if and when it comes down, but if it's the county, getting a hold of it would be about like trying to pull teeth from a chicken. The worst part of it is all the money they spent not too long ago moving it and replacing the pole, all the standpipe, the blower platform, and all the conduit and wiring.

Ziginox

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:44 am

mr_thunderbolt1003 wrote: Oh yes, it's definitely one of the first Thunderbolts, and appears to have even been retrofitted with that dual toned chopper at some point in its lifetime. It's a Series A1 that has the big size 6M Roots blower on it powered by an old Peerless(?) 7.5hp three phase motor, and the siren also sported the "circle-F" logos at one time, as evidenced by the acid etching on the panels from where the decals once were.
But the big question: does it have jailbars?

Jokes aside, I hope you can get the thing!

Hacksaw

Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:13 am

Melvin Potts

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:50 am

There used to be an ancient SD-10 in front of the Mableton School on Church St., but that died years ago.
There was also an SD-10 at East Side Elementary School on Roswell Rd. in Marietta. Others were located in front of Cobb FS#2 in the Fair Oaks community of Marietta and at FS#4 in the Oakdale area on Atlanta Rd. S of downtown Smyrna.

An SD-10 was installed at the corner of Lower Roswell & Johnson Ferry Rds. sometime during the 70s. I don't know if the other SD-10s were even working when I moved to Cobb County in 1971.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”