Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Re: Milton get Tornado Sirens $216,329

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:21 pm

mixerbd699 wrote:21k is the same price range that you find whelen's vortex and ASCs T-128 sirens.
H.E.'s recent ASC T-128 install had a $17,500 price tag. But they reused the existing pole, so that probably cut some $$.

RyanJamesDean98
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: RyanJamesDean

Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:02 am

For a professional businessman, you sure don't act like it. Slamming everything your competitors do? Not professional at all...
Proud Owner of too many sirens
Pictures, Video, and More Available on My Website.

EWS Rules

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:31 pm

Call it like I see it...
37 Years Doing This..

Antiwhoknows
YouTube Username: antiwhoknows
Discord: GrnChkn#0926

Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:58 pm

There's a difference between promoting your business and talking down on competition. If you're promoting your own, then great. But what you're doing is not only bad business, it's leaving a negative impression on several members of this board, including myself. This isn't the place for it.
Federal Signal Model 2-240, Thunderbolt 1000AT, 3T22A
Federal Sign and Signal Model A
Federal Electric Type B
Sterling M Single Head

Bryan

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:10 am

Again another instance of not knowing or not providing the full facts of the deal. There were a number of extra options that the municipality purchasing the sirens asked for. The price is not just for the sirens alone, theres a radio system, poles, and other options involved.

I agree with others here that constantly slamming or talking down about competitors is not the best way to go about things. If you dislike what you see so much then I would say that you should place bids and go after the jobs, otherwise I wouldn't keep talking down about them.
Owner/Operator of SirenTex LLC

Proud of a Federal Signal Thunderbolt 1000T, 2t22A, Model 2t, Model 3 Model 5, SD-10, STH-10, American Signal Corp. T-128, Whelen WPS-2750 and too many Whelen Lights

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: andyt1424

Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:59 pm

What really gets me is when cities want to make big purchases (like a siren system or city shop), they think the money out there is free, but really it's the taxpayers who pay for that isn't it? Unless of course they got some kind of Federal or state grant. That is the other half of me why I hate seeing old systems being taken down. Not only does it annoy me to see some of the greatest sirens (like the CD era sirens) being taken down, but the sheer cost of putting up a new system is outrageous if you think about it. They don't realize who is paying for the stuff they can't afford. Take the Minneapolis and St. Paul Thunderbolts for example. Each city took great care of them mechanically, even though most of them needed paint jobs pretty bad and they were 45+ years old, but they still worked fine didn't they? I'm not going to down on any manufactures because they all produce a similar product; a loud device to warn residents of a potential disaster. I think going with battery backup isn't worth it because it isn't too often that the power goes out if you think about it. A good number of cities have some backup generators to power areas for a a while. My town of 2,308 people has 5 Fairbanks-Morose diesel to natural gas generators. Even though that is way more than what our town needs, we can power other nearby towns if the main line is down. I would think the generators would get used first, and then not too much longer, the power would be restored. I know not all towns have generators, but you get what I mean. You spend more money replacing battery chargers and batteries every 5 years, when you would really only use it less than once a year. I'd rather see a system of CD era sirens get refurbished rather than replaced and I am sure many of you on here would too. You can still find parts for most of them, you can also repaint them and fit them with newer controls to work with today's technology. You can do that cheaper than buying a brand new system. It may take more time, but it would be a great investment in the long run.
That is just my opinion I guess :think:
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
http://www.somnwx,com
Owner of a 3T22A

Tyler
Developer
Developer
YouTube Username: Thunderbolt10031

Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Andys Live WX wrote:What really gets me is when cities want to make big purchases (like a siren system or city shop), they think the money out there is free, but really it's the taxpayers who pay for that isn't it? Unless of course they got some kind of Federal or state grant. That is the other half of me why I hate seeing old systems being taken down. Not only does it annoy me to see some of the greatest sirens (like the CD era sirens) being taken down, but the sheer cost of putting up a new system is outrageous if you think about it. They don't realize who is paying for the stuff they can't afford. Take the Minneapolis and St. Paul Thunderbolts for example. Each city took great care of them mechanically, even though most of them needed paint jobs pretty bad and they were 45+ years old, but they still worked fine didn't they? I'm not going to down on any manufactures because they all produce a similar product; a loud device to warn residents of a potential disaster. I think going with battery backup isn't worth it because it isn't too often that the power goes out if you think about it. A good number of cities have some backup generators to power areas for a a while. My town of 2,308 people has 5 Fairbanks-Morose diesel to natural gas generators. Even though that is way more than what our town needs, we can power other nearby towns if the main line is down. I would think the generators would get used first, and then not too much longer, the power would be restored. I know not all towns have generators, but you get what I mean. You spend more money replacing battery chargers and batteries every 5 years, when you would really only use it less than once a year. I'd rather see a system of CD era sirens get refurbished rather than replaced and I am sure many of you on here would too. You can still find parts for most of them, you can also repaint them and fit them with newer controls to work with today's technology. You can do that cheaper than buying a brand new system. It may take more time, but it would be a great investment in the long run.
That is just my opinion I guess :think:
You can't forget Birmingham, Alabama they keep their Thunderbolts maintained but they replaced some of them and they keep them at a site (AHEM the place where I screamed jail-bar Thunderbolt) and use them to maintain the others that's why I like Birmingham.
My knowledge excels on the Federal Thunderbolt siren and SiraTone EOWS sirens. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Proud owner of
2014 Federal UltraVoice UVICU
1981 SiraTone C/B prototype
1984 SiraTone C/B

freebrickproductions
YouTube Username: freebrickproductions

Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:40 pm

Huntsville only replaces the sirens if they fail. The EMA here says that it's a pointless waste of money to replace working sirens.
Collector of railroad crossing equipment, traffic lights, and fans.
I'm 20 years old and a Huntsville, AL native.

Friends don't let friends post videos with tones.

Andys Live WX
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: andyt1424

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:59 pm

I think there are some administration members in some cities that get an ego that makes them think getting the newest is the best and beats everyone else. They forget that newer is not generally better.
Regards,
Andy Thompson
Electrician
http://www.somnwx,com
Owner of a 3T22A

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”