loudmouth

Wed May 02, 2007 1:38 am

Thunderbolt 612 wrote:I think they should replace that siren, either with an Eclipse, Modulator, or 4 stack DSA.

thats just a sick thing to say......
electronics just plain stink, they are every were evey ones out with the old, in with the new.

great video !

StonedChipmunk

Wed May 02, 2007 1:45 am

The Eclipse is the next-generation version of the STH/L and XT22 series. Yes, it is only single-tone (I think) and is not popular, but it is well-made (and still electromechanical!).

Modulators are the way to go nowadays, but electromechanical sirens still have the power to stand out.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Daniel

Wed May 02, 2007 2:23 am

It seems like the Eclipse is about the same as a Model 5 in terms of output, but it sounds more like a Model 2 and doesn't seem to compare with the STH-10 that it replaced. Keep the 3T22, but replace the motor. These are the best-sounding American-made sirens out there.
Lex orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.

KnightFox

Wed May 02, 2007 3:16 am

LVFD really doesn't have the money to replace the siren. It's basically a left over from the old county wide civil defense system that was simply transfered to a new user, pretty much goes the same for the other VFDs in Allegany. Many VFDs use model 2s which I wouldn't be surprised if they got them from the old Cumberland system.

Mr. Machine

Wed May 02, 2007 10:21 am

Nice work, Knightfox. I had given up on trying to video that siren, as I wouldn't be able to get there soon enough on a Tuesday. I do have a video on Hi-8mm tape, but we were in the Cici's parking lot while it was sounding. Too many talking faces, not enough siren... no one would want to see that :)

Granted the siren isn't functioning %100, but it's definitely a unique sound as it is.

danwisbey85

Wed May 02, 2007 2:59 pm

Stupid as this sounds, I think it sounds quite cool!
It's like a long gradual wind up.

Dan.

Thunderbolt 612

Wed May 02, 2007 9:46 pm

Maybe the fire department should contact Sirens-For-Cities, and have a refurbished siren donated to them.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Wed May 02, 2007 9:53 pm

Thunderbolt 612 wrote:Maybe the fire department should contact Sirens-For-Cities, and have a refurbished siren donated to them.
No, they just need to service the thing properly.

KnightFox

Wed May 02, 2007 11:18 pm

I got to wondering, what if the fluxuations are caused from the timer still trying to fire the solenoids (Which are bad) since the fire department never went away from The Hi-Lo Wail.

zetronist

Wed May 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Daniel wrote:It seems like the Eclipse is about the same as a Model 5 in terms of output, but it sounds more like a Model 2 and doesn't seem to compare with the STH-10 that it replaced. Keep the 3T22, but replace the motor. These are the best-sounding American-made sirens out there.
There is a new Eclipse in our area. (My picture is posted on another thread, where it replaced the STH10) To tell you the truth, the sound output is about the same as a model 2, not a 5. It isn't loud at all. As a matter of fact, you can't hear it more than a mile away. I was thoroughly disappointed. I thought that they'd be louder than they are.

John

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”