Chicagosiren-hunters
YouTube Username: Midwest Siren Productions
Discord: MegaSparkMach.3

Re: My Latest Aquisition

Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:44 am

You can never have too many sirens, even you, Bill!
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, W.A. Box BOXCO, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>
25, engineer, and has an affinity for old sirens!

Chicagosiren-hunters

Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:10 pm

Sorry for the major bump, but I have made a recent discovery. whsn I had first received the siren, I assumed it to be from the year 1963 due to the serial number on the ID badge. However, very recently, I found an advertisement from 1924 that features my Sterling and the same company name. Could I be underestimating the age for my siren?
Attachments
image.png
image.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 2890 times
Proud owner of a Fedelcode Mach. 3 (dual rotor), Model 2, 3 A’s, 2 D’s, J, 76A, Interstate Machines F, W.A. Box BOXCO, Sparton 35, & Darley C987
>>> Track Forward >>>

sirendude2012
YouTube Username: legomn54321

Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:59 pm

You could be. Or, alternatively, you might've found out the Model F had a longer production run that you thought.
THUNDERBOLT HAS BEEN SOLD

Chicagosiren-hunters

Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:34 pm

I did a bit of digging around, and I happened to find some info:
500AT wrote:Here is an e-mail that I received from Bill Yarberry at Sentry Siren, which talks briefly about their roots:
Bill Yarberry wrote: ...
Interstate Machine Products Co., Inc. was incorporated in Rochester, New York on September 9th, 1919.
On July 1st, 1925 they changed the name to Sterling Siren Fire Alarm Co., Inc.
This being said, this siren has to be, at newest, a whopping 91 years old. Sounds like the seller missed out on a (potential) good opportunity for more cash. (despite the rough cosmetic and mechanical state)
>>> Track Forward >>>

Chicagosiren-hunters

Re: My Latest Aquisition (UPDATE 1/22/16)

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:12 pm

Sorry for yet another massive bump, but this siren has been sitting on my shelf for over three months, untested, so I thought I would give it a quick test today...when I fired it up, it started at ~Eb musical range then slowly dropped to around a C and wavered its way back up to around an E. The siren then continued to waver up and down between that range until the test was done (around 30 seconds). I then took the motor housing off to inspect the inside, felling a bit of warmth coming off the stator(most likely the bearings). I examined the insides with a flashlight and it looked the same as one of the above photos. So I have a few questions:
1. Could there be a problem with the brushes? I believe the brushes are for some reason closer to the actual siren rather than the rear of the motor, as I cannot see them.
2. How do I oil the bearings? This siren has sleeve bearing, so is there any specific techniques/oil that I should use?
3.are the windings burnt beyond repair? (Can be seen in a photo above). And if so, what are the rates for a rewind? (I can assume pricey...)
Help would be greatly appreciated, as this is most likely, one of the oldest Sterlings of this particular type, so I want to make it look and sound like it just rolled off the factory floor. Thank you.
>>> Track Forward >>>

CDV777-1
YouTube Username: vanamonde2

Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:48 am

Here's my 2 cents worth.
The thing makes noise and actually runs. It's ancient and the back motor frame has bad cracking and there might be other problems you can't see.
If it was my siren I would leave it alone. The very most I would do is try to oil it.
If you start trying to take it apart pieces might fall apart in your hands as you take it apart and then it's junk.
It's super cool just the way it is.
Now if it gets to the point where it won't run and it burns up or something. Then try to take it apart and get it going again.
Just my 2 cents worth... ;)
Proud owner of a garage full of junk.

Chicagosiren-hunters

Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:13 pm

You know what, that sounds like a good idea. I think I will just eventually restore it cosmetically for now.
>>> Track Forward >>>

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”