jkvernon

Mon May 12, 2008 3:00 am

Here's my other video that I just uploaded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbNsIljofto

Franklin County sounds for three minute intervals with seven minutes in between. They used to make announcements during the 7 minute periods but they have since stopped seeing as how the siren sounding should be enough of an indication of a tornado.

I was just watching 10tv news and they showed a DUAL TONED 3016 in Franklin County doing alert. I would LOVE to know where that one is!

Fletch

Mon May 12, 2008 3:21 am

Apparently, there was nobody in the Franklin County EMA office, so they were kind of caught off guard. One of the employees had a pager and raced back to the EMA office.

Seems like there should be a system where, like a weather radio, a receiver would get a signal from the NWS and set the siren system off right away without anyone needing to sound it manually.

The Dublin sirens went off right away, so maybe they should follow Dublin's protocal, aside from the fact that Dublin sounds the sirens for warnings in Delaware and Union counties.

kswx29

Mon May 12, 2008 4:20 am

Fletch wrote:Apparently, there was nobody in the Franklin County EMA office, so they were kind of caught off guard. One of the employees had a pager and raced back to the EMA office.

Seems like there should be a system where, like a weather radio, a receiver would get a signal from the NWS and set the siren system off right away without anyone needing to sound it manually.

The Dublin sirens went off right away, so maybe they should follow Dublin's protocal, aside from the fact that Dublin sounds the sirens for warnings in Delaware and Union counties.
Shawnee County has two activation points. One is at the EM office, and another at the 911 center. So if there is a Tornado Warning, the sirens should be sounded even if there isn't anyone in the EM office.
-Once known as 2t22boy (Dylan)
Youtube | Flickr

jkvernon

Mon May 12, 2008 10:39 am

Franklin County has three so I really don't know why they didn't go off earlier. One at the EMA, one at the Westerville fire headquarters, and one at the Columbus police headquarters(?).

ver tum
YouTube Username: LouisvilleTorn8o

Mon May 12, 2008 11:44 am

Those Whelens sound spooky in that second video because of the wind.

BTW, what's up with all those trains?
Josh
Owner of a Federal Signal Model D
Audio
YouTube

Fletch

Mon May 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Delaware County's 'Reverse 911' system also experienced major delays. Some calls did not go out until 30 minutes after the thunderstorm passed.

jkvernon

Mon May 12, 2008 10:01 pm

Here's a news clip about what Fletch was talking about. It also shows a clip of a dual-toned Whelen 3016.

Matt
Administrator
Administrator

Mon May 12, 2008 10:03 pm

jkvernon wrote:Here's a news clip about what Fletch was talking about. It also shows a clip of a dual-toned Whelen 3016.
you forgot to put in the video
videogamer
Matt Ullman

jkvernon

Tue May 13, 2008 12:42 am

Wow. I'm 0 for 2 now! lol Here's the link.

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/local/ ... ml?sid=102

Edit: I just realized that the station changed the video and it doesn't show the dual-toned 3016 anymore. However, it gives more reasoning against Reverse 911 when it talks about how the system failed in my county. I'm kinda getting a little pissed off at the commissioners and the EMA guy for not doing their homework. Reverse 911 works, but not in this scenario with that many people. My family just got rid of our landline phone and we just rely on cell phones so Reverse 911 doesn't even work here.

Fletch

Tue May 13, 2008 5:36 am

Good point. People without a land line are not going to be reached by R-911. And, if you were like my family was growing up, we screened our calls on the answering machine, with the volume very low.

I was caught off guard by this thunderstorm, as most people were. It came out of nowhere and it moved rapidly.

It could have been a more dangerous situation. This just goes to show that severe weather can happen most unexpectedly.

Return to “Videos and Media”