Henry455

Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:45 pm

I recently restored this one I bought off the Bay, it looked in worse shape than Jpaynes's but with a rebuilt motor, a little bead blasting and a little paint, almost as good as new.

I do not think the C series and 66/28 series were considered for the volunteer. They did have a volunteer series but smaller sirens and $35.00 and under. You can see them in this 1963 catalog page:Image

The 28 sold for $75.00 which was a pretty good chunk of change in 1963.

ImageImage

JPayne9207

Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:47 am

pyramid head wrote:Where did you find this beast, Ebay? I like it for some reason, even though I am a low tone person myself.
I actually bought it at a garage sale in Louisiana from an old woman selling off her late husbands collection.

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:41 am

Henry455 wrote:
I do not think the C series and 66/28 series were considered for the volunteer. They did have a volunteer series but smaller sirens and $35.00 and under. You can see them in this 1963 catalog

That's what I meant. I didn't even look at what Robert was referring to :oops: I figured he was talking about the faceplate on the V series and not the 28.

Anyways, not sure why the grills on the 28's are shaped like that, but I'm sure its just for style and looks.

Robert Gift

Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Henry455 wrote:...
Image...
What I like about this siren is that there are no "finger guards" in the stator ports.
The only way it could be improved is to remove that unneeded faceplate.

Jim Z

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Is that a starter motor, or did Federal Signal have motors specially built?
it's similar in that it's a "12 volt" series-wound motor, though I'm not sure that the specific motor they use is identical to any one automotive starter. for one, the band covering the brush/commutator end wouln't be sufficient protection from the elements when slung under an engine.

That said, I wager it's something that Federal has/had made specifically for them, the same type motor was used on a lot of their DC sirens. The Q and the 76/77/78 use the same motor.

JPayne9207

Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:50 am

Jim Z wrote:
it's similar in that it's a "12 volt" series-wound motor, though I'm not sure that the specific motor they use is identical to any one automotive starter. for one, the band covering the brush/commutator end wouln't be sufficient protection from the elements when slung under an engine.

That said, I wager it's something that Federal has/had made specifically for them, the same type motor was used on a lot of their DC sirens. The Q and the 76/77/78 use the same motor.
The motors casing is very similar to a early model GM starter, but the internal windings are completely different. Starters are made for high torque/low rpm at up to 400+ amps. Their unbalanced armatures are made with thick copper windings which aren't very long & can only be run for a limited amount of time because they heat up fast from their rubust amp usage. This siren motor is made for high rpm (not torque) & it's copper windings are fine(lower amperage), long & it spins roughly about 5 times faster than a starter once it gets going. It can run for an extended time because it is balanced & low amp (low heat). I can actually hold the chopper with my hand, connect it to power & it won't turn. If I tried to do that with a starter motor, I would probably break my wrist & lose a few fingers.

Robert Gift

Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:15 am

JPayne9207 wrote:
Jim Z wrote:

The motors casing is very similar to a early model GM starter, but the internal windings are completely different. Starters are made for high torque/low rpm at up to 400+ amps. Their unbalanced armatures are made with thick copper windings which aren't very long & can only be run for a limited amount of time because they heat up fast from their rubust amp usage. This siren motor is made for high rpm (not torque) & it's copper windings are fine(lower amperage), long & it spins roughly about 5 times faster than a starter once it gets going. It can run for an extended time because it is balanced & low amp (low heat). I can actually hold the chopper with my hand, connect it to power & it won't turn. If I tried to do that with a starter motor, I would probably break my wrist & lose a few fingers.
Interesting.
Thanks for the information.

Return to “Other Warning Systems - Indoor, Outdoor and Vehicular”