NanSiren

Thu May 03, 2007 1:37 am

I'm surprised Austin/Mower county doesn't have records. After the sirens activate, the dispatcher pages the area FDs and says:
[name of city] fire and first responders, this is your weekly test page and monthly civil defense test. Please acknowledge page and advise if your siren sounded.
Actually, today I heard someone say something about ?not working? in the BG as she was paging the Austin FD.

StonedChipmunk

Thu May 03, 2007 2:15 am

If you go to the WCCO Links & Numbers site, you can read the stats on all the sirens, and check this out:

"Arco ? The city's siren went down last year. The city then purchased NOAA weather radios for all its residents to buy from the city at a discounted rate so that citizens would be informed of severe weather. The siren itself was too expensive for the city to fix. 27 of the 47 households in the city have the radios and they were purchased by residents for $32.00 a piece."

There were a lot of typos, but 47 households? And in all seriousness, why did the other 20 households NOT buy weather radios??!?

But I can understand... the city's pool of money probably has only $56, and that's probably not enough to fix the siren. :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

tboltkid520

Thu May 03, 2007 5:08 am

I live in Rochester (Olmsted County) and i'm not at all surprised that we're the only county in the state that not only shows when a siren sounds for a test, but as well as a warning, Sgt. Jon Turk is very devoted to public safety, i've e-mailed with him before, he's serious about getting things done right.

Justin

Thu May 03, 2007 7:26 am

I think it's great that Jamie has taken it upon herself to raise the funds to get a new siren system for their local community.

If I had money, I'd be sure to make a donation!

On second thoughts, is there a PayPal account where I can?

JasonC
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: Jsncrso

Thu May 03, 2007 3:12 pm

Just to let you guys know, shes contacted me via e-mail. I plan to respond later on today and see exactly what the deal is.

StonedChipmunk

Thu May 03, 2007 3:25 pm

Ask her how much she's gotten so far, because I guarantee that simply selling foodstuffs and glowsticks won't get her farther than $1,000... and how much do sirens cost nowadays? Like, $50,000? I have no idea... but however much it costs, it's gonna take a lot more help to get a siren... still, I'd say that weather radios all around would be more effective. I think she thinks that the siren will work indoors, too... you really need to look at the issue from all angles here. And yes, if you're on the lake, that's dangerous, but there isn't gonna be over 10% of the town, tops, at the lake at any given time.

Also, looking at Google Maps, one small siren won't work... the town's pretty spread out. Not packed, but kinda splattered over the area.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence indicating that you tried.

Robert Gift

Thu May 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Why did the 2001s turn in opposite directions?

What is that strange siren on the pole?
How can it be too difficult to fix?
Just replace the motor, probably weather damaged after losing it's cover, and make a cover for it.

If on a lake, or outdoors, one should be paying attention to the weather
for lightning, high winds and tornados.
Also, warnings may be late, so better to observe for yourself and not rely upon the county.

Wish they could fix that unusual siren.

Justin

Fri May 04, 2007 7:55 am

StonedChipmunk wrote:Like, $50,000?
Not quite, but expensive.

Sirens-for-cities.org?

AllSafe

Sat May 05, 2007 2:12 am

A 2001 is about $12,000-15,000 installed.
Ich spreche nicht Deutsch...doh!

Robert Gift

Sat May 05, 2007 2:26 am

douro20 wrote:A 2001 is about $12,000-15,000 installed.
That's not as bad as I expected.
But considering that the device is simply a motor and spinner, they are making quite a profit.
Same with their lightbars.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”