djscrizzle

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:24 am

robert gift wrote:Welcome, Scriz.

Where is Calhan, CO?

Yes, it sure looks like a 2t22 on it's side.
I presume the larger reflector is for the lower tone of larger wavelength
and smaller for the higher tone a minor third higher.

Must be fascinating to hear as one tone becomes more prominent and then subsides to the other.

Federal Signal's instructions direct that the 2t22 not be more than 10 degrees out of plumb, otherwise bearing lubrication (wear?) may be a problem.
So, I doubt it is a typical 2t22.
Answer.. Calhan is 30 miles NE of c-springs along US24. about mid-way to Limon. We typically recieve 1-2 tornadoes a year in the general area, making the siren a necessity still. The reason Colo Spgs has no sirens is simple: People typically have other notification methods available like a radio, a tv, or the internet making outdoor warning systems pretty much un-necessary.

Robert Gift

Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:30 pm

djscrizzle wrote: The reason Colo Spgs has no sirens is simple: People typically have other notification methods available like a radio, a tv, or the internet making outdoor warning systems pretty much un-necessary.
Spoil-sport.

Did they ever have sirens which they later removed?

I always monitor broadcast when weather gets interesting.
A problem is that many may not be aware and be home or driving using CDs and not monitoring broadcast radio and TV.

Years ago I was working in a building and did not know the weather had worsened until we heard a FS model 5? sound.

djscrizzle

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:52 am

robert gift wrote:
djscrizzle wrote: The reason Colo Spgs has no sirens is simple: People typically have other notification methods available like a radio, a tv, or the internet making outdoor warning systems pretty much un-necessary.
Spoil-sport.

Did they ever have sirens which they later removed?

I always monitor broadcast when weather gets interesting.
A problem is that many may not be aware and be home or driving using CDs and not monitoring broadcast radio and TV.

Years ago I was working in a building and did not know the weather had worsened until we heard a FS model 5? sound.
Yes, there were sirens. Until the Eighties, according to the ElPaso County OEM, The sirens were removed due to maintenance costs, and tall-ish buildings messing with sounding areas, rapid expansion was also another reason, however, I believe a siren-net can be used for many other things, and a essential part of any large city..

djscrizzle

Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:05 am

Yet another 550AT was spotted in Sugar CIty today. http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtop ... 2916#62916
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

dilloncarpenter

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:48 am

djscrizzle wrote:Yet another 550AT was spotted in Sugar CIty today. http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtop ... 2916#62916
Saw that! Do you know where the one is in Manitou Springs?
Kicking it in the siren party since '08

djscrizzle

Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:54 am

dilloncarpenter wrote:
djscrizzle wrote:Yet another 550AT was spotted in Sugar CIty today. http://airraidsirens.com/forums/viewtop ... 2916#62916
Saw that! Do you know where the one is in Manitou Springs?
It's on Manitou Ave directly adjacent to the police station. Real close to Ruxton Ave.
Still close enough to a Fed Sig 550AT to drive out on test day: First Friday in May - 7PM!
As of April 15 2010, a certified NWS Skywarn Spotter.

coppercarl
Supporter
Supporter
YouTube Username: TheWeatherGuys

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:58 pm

That is the rare Federal Signal 550AT. Not many were made. I think It would have been a good siren and done well but they decided not to take any chances so they stopped making them after about 50 of them.
Ian Tate
Facebook

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”