Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:47 pm

hobbeekid wrote:
holler wrote:What does an 8/12 siren sound like? it's been a while since I've heard a recording of one and really can't remember.

I think the 8/12 port sounds like a p 50/t135...
Soundmaster's were 8/12 too.

pyramid head

Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:30 am

I am very curious of where people are getting information on this whole Sound Master thing. Not so long ago nobody knew anything about them from what I remember, and now it is common knowledge? I would truly love to see some kind of sales brochure or some kind of documentation, because I am lost... Thank you.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

Pete

question

Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:40 am

Ok...I'm trying to figure this out.

Were Howlers made in-between the production of the Allertor and the Penetrator series?

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Re: question

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:01 am

Pete wrote:Ok...I'm trying to figure this out.

Were Howlers made in-between the production of the Allertor and the Penetrator series?
Howlers were the answer to the Allertor's big problem of freezing up. They used the same internals as an allertor but with a belt drive and new housing to prevent icing and water collection.

Pete

Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:08 am

Cool, thank you!

RamFett

Re: question

Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:35 am

holler wrote:
Pete wrote:Ok...I'm trying to figure this out.

Howlers were the answer to the Allertor's big problem of freezing up. They used the same internals as an allertor but with a belt drive and new housing to prevent icing and water collection.
That's what the P-10/15's were created for. Howlers are more or less an offshoot of the Screamers. I imagine ACA decided the concept of a smaller rotational siren was better executed on the Penetrators, hence the smaller numbers and subsequent rarity of Howlers.

Actually, the Howler's internal components are all different from the Allertor/P-10/15 guts. Everything is smaller, the rotor is only 18" in diameter, and the 10 hp motor is more compact. The rotator is a completely different design. It's more of a rotational Screamer than an updated Allertor. Basically a Screamer S10 on its side with a rotator stuck on and different shrouds.

I have an ACA Howler, 9/12 port, 3 phase, 1987 vintage. I bought it from Archon in August of 2007. I repaired and painted the shrouds. The paint on the motor is going to be stripped and re-coated in CD yellow. Pictures are below.

To answer ACAP10's question, it's supposedly around 120 db. You'll notice that on the builder plate, the DB rating section was left blank on mine, so 120 is only speculative.

Fully assembled siren head with pole mount to the left

Top view, you can see the motor shroud is actually mounted off-center.

Here it is with the shroud components removed and laid out for study

Rear view of the motor and rotator mechanism.

Close up of the Rotator mechanism and commutator rings. Here's how the rotation works on this thing: The pulley is turned by the motor shaft. The pulley then turns the wheel connected to it by the belt. The wheel goes to a gearbox that turns a smaller, horizontally mounted belt. That belt pulls the whole siren head around a pulley connected to the stationary base.

Builder plate

Gil
YouTube Username: gilramirez12

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:52 pm

pyramid head wrote:I am very curious of where people are getting information on this whole Sound Master thing. Not so long ago nobody knew anything about them from what I remember, and now it is common knowledge? I would truly love to see some kind of sales brochure or some kind of documentation, because I am lost... Thank you.
All of the information that has been discussed, is still on the forum. 99% of it came from Richard Buggs (also a member here), who worked for SoundMaster way back when.

The one or two brochures that I know of do not make mention of the port ratio.

Here's the link to the "post card":
http://johncockbrewery.com/sirens/Sounm ... 20Card.jpg

pyramid head

Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Okay, just making sure. Thank you for the link.
Pyramid head walks into a bar... there are no survivors.

kylew
New User

Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:55 am

Hey there, I'm in Macon as well--I was really disappointed to see a Thunderbeam replaced with a 2001 on Pierce Ave. over near I-75. Where is this Howler at?

murrfarms
YouTube Username: murrfarms

Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 am

kylew wrote:Hey there, I'm in Macon as well--I was really disappointed to see a Thunderbeam replaced with a 2001 on Pierce Ave. over near I-75. Where is this Howler at?
It's over at the abandoned Ballard Middle School up on the hill behind Academy Sports and Outdoors on Eisenhower Pkwy. You'll see it as soon as you look at that hill, it sticks out like a sore thumb above the trees. It's kind of funny how I've missed it all these years and it was right there in plain sight!
Last edited by murrfarms on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”