SirenMadness

Wed May 23, 2012 4:47 am

If Federal already spent the money on engineering and tooling for the new castings, then they might as well do away with the old. I personally think it looks great!

Now, just compare the rotor of the 508 to that of mixerbd699's T-128. They both have the curved vanes and appear to stick out a bit at the front. Is it possible that ASC let Federal use their rotor?? That would be interesting considering how the very first batch of B&N Mobil Directos used rotors from Federal.

~ Peter Radanovic

holler
High Leg
High Leg
YouTube Username: Blue10AEmia

Wed May 23, 2012 7:48 am

I don't think they reverse engineered a tempest siren, it actually looks like a bigger rotor/stator.
Last edited by holler on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r4tbolts

Wed May 23, 2012 10:23 am

I see two major issues with the inner cone design. Without a screen the shape of the inner cone will make one heck of a bird nesting area and secondly in snow country if pointed the wrong direction will catch and retain a lot of snow. To me it would seem more practical to have the inner cone flared outward to drain water and moisture away and not be a retention pool.

At a minimum there should be a weep hole in the bottom of the inner cone to keep water/moisture from pooling.

orestis

Wed May 23, 2012 5:06 pm

How strange that the external fiberglass surface isn't coated... Maybe there is a top cone or something similar missing there?

Siren_Dude

Wed May 23, 2012 5:20 pm

Looks pretty cool!
Your Canadian Siren Expert!
https://www.youtube.com/c/ColdWarCanada

kdksiren
YouTube Username: kdksiren

Wed May 23, 2012 6:08 pm

We were wondering about water gettting in and freezing or snow too. Wasn't this a concern with the Allertor? Also, if you look around the outer horn, it looks like holes that may be there to connect a screen to keep varmits out.

Trey
YouTube Username: SD10s4ever

Wed May 23, 2012 7:13 pm

That is one fugly siren. I call it an American Signal ripoff. But at least Federal is still in the siren biz and still trying to come up with new products/trying to compete in the industry. I'm gonna say the 2001s days are numbered as well. Wait...that technically will make 2001s collectible ;) who will get one first??

md5
YouTube Username: bctrainers

Wed May 23, 2012 7:20 pm

r4tbolts wrote:I see two major issues with the inner cone design. Without a screen the shape of the inner cone will make one heck of a bird nesting area and secondly in snow country if pointed the wrong direction will catch and retain a lot of snow. To me it would seem more practical to have the inner cone flared outward to drain water and moisture away and not be a retention pool.

At a minimum there should be a weep hole in the bottom of the inner cone to keep water/moisture from pooling.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Without any meshing, that entire apparatus will be mighty tempting for any little critter to call it home.
--bc

SirenMadness

Wed May 23, 2012 7:35 pm

If the 2001 goes, that means the Model 2 will be the only siren to use a classic chopper design!
~ Peter Radanovic

uncommonsense

Wed May 23, 2012 8:04 pm

SirenMadness wrote:If the 2001 goes, that means the Model 2 will be the only siren to use a classic chopper design!
What about Sentry's product line?

Return to “Main Outdoor Warning Sirens Board”